I have not seen a thread discussing this so I thought I would throw it out... who here is a HAM? As some know, but all should, there is a great way to communicate from the outback called the HAM radio. If you would like more info please ask or please list your call sign if you have one.

So to start the intro... I am KF7AJU, Dave, North Phoenix

Glad you posted this I was just thinking about getting a HAM license the other day.My dad is a HAM.(KC7NOJ) I don't think he has been on for a while. Since he moved to Strawberry he has not been as involved as much. I know he takes his handheld on hunt with him mostly just in case he has any trouble out in the field. You never know.

Glad to hear your interested. The more of us linked together the better. A Ham radio can hit a repeater (and/or another ham) from almost anywhere in the state. The license is easy and only $15, radios are about the same as a CB but much more powerful. Anyone else?

I am KE7IMZ but I am currently unable to use my equipment due to a pacemaker I had installed, the signal would interfere with my function. I have a truck mount and hand mount I may have to sell soon.

I am KE7IMZ but I am currently unable to use my equipment due to a pacemaker I had installed, the signal would interfere with my function. I have a truck mount and hand mount I may have to sell soon.

Ouch thats a tough one.

Do you participate on any of the daily nets? There used to be one I would get on every morning between 7-8 that would ask different trivia facts and everyone would put in a guess to see who was closest. I guess the repeater got damaged in a storm and I never found it again after that.

I'm new to ham radio. I was convinced when I was hunting with my brother north of the Catalinas and he could talk to a friend in Tucson.There was no cell coverage and it was nice to be able to communicate. I have a radio in the Jeep and also picked up a handheld unit. That way I can use the handheld while hunting and set the Jeep to act as a repeater with more power.

Wed at 8:15pm is the 4x4ham group on the Shaw Butte and Mt Ord repeaters. Subject is generally emergency contact information and offroading. Google 4x4ham for info.

Mondays at 9pm on the same repeaters is the Maricopa emergency response group. Their subjects are how to use the system and beginners and very welcome.

qrz.com has the tests online. There are about 15 different ones for the technical class (base license) that all pick from the same pool of questions. If you just go through them repeatedly you can pass the test. Then just $15 and go take the test when its given in your area. Its not hard (heck I did it). You can pick up a ham radio for not much more than a good CB.

qrz.com has the tests online. There are about 15 different ones for the technical class (base license) that all pick from the same pool of questions. If you just go through them repeatedly you can pass the test. Then just $15 and go take the test when its given in your area. Its not hard (heck I did it). You can pick up a ham radio for not much more than a good CB.

Or you can pm grizzly and pick up one of his for cheap.

Do you still have to be proficient in Morse code to get a HAM license? I looked into it as a kid (25+ years ago) and you had to pass a Morse code proficiency test and, if I remember correctly, with the novice license you could only use Morse code on the air. Since I could only really tap or understand "SOS", my conversations were limited (although it would have come in handy on the Titanic.)

The morse code has been eliminated from the test. The base license gets you on the air with the most used frequencies.

Do you still have to be proficient in Morse code to get a HAM license? I looked into it as a kid (25+ years ago) and you had to pass a Morse code proficiency test and, if I remember correctly, with the novice license you could only use Morse code on the air. Since I could only really tap or understand "SOS", my conversations were limited (although it would have come in handy on the Titanic.)

there are three levels of operator and you only need to know morse code for the highest level.