Sign in to follow this  
CouesWhitetail

NM coues application

New Mexico's tags are any antlered deer, the cost is $195.00 for the over-the-counter tags, which includes a habitat stamp. If you put in for a draw permit in unit 27, the tag will cost you around $316.00. This is due to the unit being considered a high demand unit, so they charge you more for being an out-of-stater. Last year it only cost $6.00 to put in, then you would take the draw permit, if successful, and purchase a tag. But they changed that this year. You need to send the entire amount when putting in for a draw permit. If you hunt in units like 23 or 26, the tag will only cost you $195.00. Be careful however, like in unit 26, a lot of the ranches charge a trespass fee to hunt on their property. Which could up the amount that you will be paying to hunt in NM. The deadline for the draw hunts is April 26th. Hope some of this helps.

Edited by coueselk

I have been drawing for NM's unit 27 for four years and never drew yet. It sucks that the NMG&F changed their policy as far as fees are concerned. NM was always my fall back option if I didn't draw here in Az. With it only costing $6, there was always the option if you couldn't make the hunt, you didn't lose your money.( you didn't have to pay untill you actually comitted to the hunt) That is probally why they changed their policy; to keep people from filling up the draw and not going on the hunt. (greenies,etc) Not only does the state lose the fees, but once the tag is drawn, I beleive, it was final. I always firgured if I drew in 27, I'd make the hunt no matter what; but the thought of spending the $316 makes the decision alittle tougher. Maybe that will improve the odds. Never hunted the over counter tags; might this year though, if I fail to draw in Az again. Good luck

Brent