Sign in to follow this  
cohofishing

Ross Outdoors

Hi,

Was looking at the Ross Outdoors huntmap for unit 10. I have a couple map software programs including the National Geographic which I use a lot. Has anyone used the maps Ross Outdoors makes? I like the idea that the whole unit is on one map but not sure if it is worth $54 plus.

Brent

I wondered the same thing when I ordered one. It is a nice map though. Mine came on a vinyl type material instead of paper. It seems pretty indestructible. The map came rolled up, but it folded up easily enough to fit in my pack.

Good question. I have seen some really nice Unit 10 maps, but not sure where they came from. I have heard that the retired G&F Officer had made a really nice map of Unit 10. Is this the map they are selling?

Generally any BLM office in Arizona can make you a custom map of any hunt unit in the state for about $15.00 if you ask. They are on paper.

Can't comment on the ross's outdoors map since I haven't seen it, but I did just buy the National Geographic TOPO! program for the state of NM. And at Sportsman's warehouse they were running a special where if you bought a state program you got a free program with the hunt unit maps for 16 states, including AZ and NM. I haven't installed it yet, but it's supposed to work well with the National Geo Topo program. You might consider that.

Amanda

Hi,

I think we are going to end up buying the Ross Outdoors Map. I'll let you all know what I think. When I get home today, I going to look into the blm map; sounds like a good option. I do like my National Graphic topo. Used it a lot but it is hard to print up more than one area at a time. I print up four or so sheets and tape together. It does work.

Brent

Hi,

We got the Huntmap of unit 10 from Ross Outdoors. Their people were great and sent the map out right away. It's a big, durable, waterproof map that covers the whole unit. I like the map because it covers the overall unit. It gives the roads and a whole lot of general information. It will be great for general scouting. One will have to also use blm maps(two maps) for land ownership and if you are like I am, you will also want a map with more detail for a certain areas. The hunt map was $56 and will last forever. I love this part of the hunt.

Good luck scouting!

Brent

Another option is to have wide world of maps print you a custom map with all of the features you want and then they can laminate it.

I had a 1:24K topo map made for most of Unit 8 and I think it ran me $45 or so and they can laminate it for a few bucks more. Unit 10 is a bigger unit, so you'd probably need to get two maps printed.

I find the topo maps to be much more useful personally, the only deal is that the road #'s aren't marked, so I just marked them by hand using a Kaibab Forest map.

good luck with your hunt.

Schmitty