Sign in to follow this  
DUG

Applying for NM elk

I got my customer # ok, but where is the app. for applying online. I can't find it. I see the one in the proclamation but not online. Can someone direct me to where it is? I'm new to this so it may be right in front of my face and I don't know it.

Edit, I just found it. Trying to get used to NM calling it an elk license versus AZ calling it an elk tag.

Edit, I don't think I found it. I found form 3 but I don't think it is right for applying for elk.

DUG,

If you need more help let me know. It took quite awhile before I could figure out how to use Arizona's system for applying. I think every state's regulations vary enough that a little help is warranted. Hope it works out for you.

--Bill

Thanks Bill for your offer. I finally got it done. It was actually very easy once I found the online application. It even added my Customer ID # for me. Not sure what I got myself into if I get drawn, but we'll see what happens. I applied for either sex licenses. I still need to do some reading up on what this means though.

With an either sex license you can take a cow or bull.

--Bill

I just wasn't sure if you had to take a spike or raghorn or if you saw a monster you could take that too.

As has been mentioned, in New Mexico the ES tag is for ANY elk! Cow, bull, raghorn, calf, big boy, what ever.....

I love the fact that they offer those tags! My son had a Junior ES tag a couple of years ago in NM. He ended-up taking a nice bull, but we knew that a 'last day' cow was always an option!

S.

:)

Thanks for clearing that up Stanley. I kind of went into this blind, but I'm learning as I go. I will be reading the regs this weekend while I'm in Tucson watching softball.

Does anyone put in for the Valles Caldera lottery? I was thinking of doing that too. The wife always does the Health Wealth raffle without asking. Maybe I'll do this.

The Quality hunt and the high demand hunts are 6x6 or bigger?

Q and HD are just for units that produce high numbers of applicants. They are not necessarily Mature Bull hunts, meaning that a legal bull must have at least a fork with both sides being 6" or more long. Some are either sex hunts.

--Bill

How much is it for a non-resident elk hunt ?

The license will run you between $346.00 to $781.00 depending on what hunt you have, unless you get a landowner tag. Then it will be the previous stated cost plus whatever you pay for the landowner tag.

--Bill