Sign in to follow this  
m77

Mandatory Success Reporting

Dick King and others have been pushing this for years. Two years ago Leonerd Ordway's reason was that "G&F" did not want create more obstructions or roadblocks for hunters. Gee, thanks Leonerd!

I always suspected that G&F did not want good data. Good data would be more difficult to manipulate.

Mark

That's why they want to implement a baiting ban- so there are no more obstructions for hunters...

Make a heck of a lot of sense.

I am for it. I think the current survey is a joke and useless. They have no statistics to show that the surveys being turned in are representative of the real story. I quit doing them about 5 years ago when I realized how many were not turning them in- I, like many others I have spoken to, quit sending them in hopes that they would be forced to make it mandatory. I don't think this is a huge deal people. You could do it online in conjunction with your bonus points. It could be as simple as costing you a bonus point for failing to report. They make lion, sheep, buffalo and bear reporting as well as archery deer reporting mandatory, what's the big deal with including the permitted hunts as well. This would only add elk and general deer to the equation. The only ones I think should be voluntary are the non-big game surveys such as small game or waterfowl.

Once again Mr. Quimby is correct. Mandatory reporting does not equal mandatory truth telling and would not equate to better info for G & F.

I agree some will fudge the truth, but the vast majority will not. More data is always better. I don't think they "can handle the truth"

I'd be for mandatory harvest reporting, actually being transplanted from the midwest, it was weird not having to report my harvests here. The new thing back east is tele-check, call a number, give them some info, they give you a confirmation number and you are checked in. Maybe have to then write the confirmation number on the tag (or something along those lines), maybe give 48 hours or so to check your harvest in. If you are stopped after the time period and not checked in, you would be ticketed. No processors or taxidermists would allow animals without the number on the tag, meaning you checked it in. I think it would allow for a little better harvest data, instead of all this guesstimating which is probably costing us tags in the end.

I just heard how the Game & Fish rely on civilian bird watchers to get bird counts and types of birds observed. Have they ever asked a hunter how many and what types of wildlife he/she has seen while hunting??? Seems to me if they rely on bird watchers they could trust the hunter to report harvests and make it mandatory.

Alan

M77,

actually they do, I receive surveys having to do with nonpermit game, they inquire as to what types of critters you run across while hunting big game.

I'd be for mandatory harvest reporting, actually being transplanted from the midwest, it was weird not having to report my harvests here. The new thing back east is tele-check, call a number, give them some info, they give you a confirmation number and you are checked in. Maybe have to then write the confirmation number on the tag (or something along those lines), maybe give 48 hours or so to check your harvest in. If you are stopped after the time period and not checked in, you would be ticketed. No processors or taxidermists would allow animals without the number on the tag, meaning you checked it in. I think it would allow for a little better harvest data, instead of all this guesstimating which is probably costing us tags in the end.

Now THAT would be an obstruction! I am all for mandatory reporting,but it needs to be convenient for the hunter- You have until the end of the year or so. It could be all set up online so you just input your tag # and check yes or no...

M77,

actually they do, I receive surveys having to do with nonpermit game, they inquire as to what types of critters you run across while hunting big game.

Is that run across or RUN OVER :lol: :lol: :lol: