Oregon tuition breaks sought for illegal immigrant students!

PORTLAND, Ore. – Oregon lawmakers are considering a change in state law to allow illegal residents to attend Oregon universities and pay the lower in state tuition.

Vidal Fuentes Ramos is in America illegally. He says his mother brought him and three siblings to Washington County seven years ago when he was 15.

Now he's going to Portland Community College, but says he can’t afford to go on to a major university because he'd have to pay out of state tuition and he cannot afford that.

“I went to school three years,” he said. “I graduated high school here in Oregon with a 3.77 GPA with honors. All I need is an opportunity to go to university. Why? I want to keep making a difference in our community."

Vidal is one reason

UO President Dave Frohnmayer thinks its common sense.

“The child can’t help whether he or she is here,” he said. “Let’s not visit on the next generation whatever might be the sins or law issues of the parent. This is a classic issue where we have to invest in the next generation."

Some think it’s a terrible idea.

"First of all, it’s in conflict with the sense of the rule of law,” Jim ludwick, President of Oregonians for Immigration Reform, says. “We expect everyone in the United States to obey our laws. This rewards people who have broken our laws."

The change is being promoted by university student groups.

"All students who are qualified should have an equal opportunity to post secondary education and access to post secondary education," Kari Herinckx of the Students of Color Coalition said.

The interesting thing here is that many colleges and universities across the country have rules, code of ethics, honor codes, etc. that students must live by or face punishments or possible expulsion. Some schools even have dress codes and moral codes of conduct as well. These are college rules not laws of the land.

I just think it's a little hypocritical that these institutions will expell a student for posing in a nudie magazine or working as a stripper which is perfectly LEGAL. In some cases they'll punish you for not sticking to the dress code or wearing your hair to long or crazy. They'll punish you for drinking to much and parting to much. They will punish students that don't live by college ethics, but they won't punish/expell a student for breaking Federal immigration laws which is ILLEGAL!!!!!

I'm not against foreigners coming to American schools to get an education. I just think they should have to follow the rules like the rest of us.

What if I want to send my son to vet school up in Washington will he have to pay out of state tuition?

When I lived in New Mexico and went to school in AZ did I have to pay out of state?

But if I am illegally here in this country I have the right to pay in state tuition??

A whole lot of wolves in sheeps skins kicking around out there, time to circle the wagons an take care of home.......

the problem is the wagons are circled and folks are just trying to hang to what little they have left. it's time to hit hard in all directions at once and take this country back from foreignors and crappy politicians. Lark.

Lark has it dead on!

I believe illegal is illegal and no rights to any benefit should be allowed.

Public Education, Medical care, Welfare, SS, Drivers License, or anything.

Any benefit granted due to life threatening situations must be paid 100% upon rendering or the illegal recipient must be deported and the bill for services should be sent to the home country of the illegal to be repaid by that government.

Until we in the USA take action to protect our country and our president quits apologizing for our arrogance and insensitivity it is going to continue to be a magnet for those from countries that do not take care of their own.