Sign in to follow this  
BACKCOUNTRY

ROAD CONDITIONS UNIT #1

I will be heading up to unit #1 tomorrow to chase Turkey, wondered if anyone had info on forest service roads around the Greens Peak area?

We want to camp around the 117 rd.

And how about the Big Lake area, and Black river?

I think I will call the ranger District also.

Most of the roads are open and good to go. I don't know specifically of the areas around Greens but the highway to Big Lake is open, although access from Sunrise is still closed. The FS is plowing alot of the drifts open and I think most of the roads excluding the 116 and 72 are passable. Hope this helps.

packer

I was out around Greens Peak today and they had most of the roads plowed. They had the 117 road plowed from US 60 til the junction right at Greens Peak but from there to 260 wasn't plowed yet. They were plowing the 61, 65 and 96 roads today.

Yep open! from Greer side!!! Fishin at canero was great, Big lake is good go also!

Great, thanks for the Info.

Looks like were good to go, we will be coming in from the Vernon side staying low, camping on the 404rd.

Now all I need to do is knock down a big tom.

I had a nice blind set up at Little Giant spring, hope it is accessible.

This probably should be a separate thread, but I've always wondered why hunters build camps smack dab in the middle of game country. I've had several elk hunts messed up by people camping in the same meadows where I'd found bulls on my scouting trips. :angry: Same goes with turkeys. Iris Springs off the Greer to Carnero Lake road is a well-known turkey hangout, but every year there will be hunters camped there. What's wrong with camping a few miles away and driving to where the game is? :unsure:

Bill Quimby

Fishing was great, the fish survived winter kill, about 15-17 inches in length, one was 20 incher! Caught over 40 in 3 hours between 2 of us. Most likely they will hit the 22-24 inch mark by october, seems that lake does wonders on the growth! All where released also. THis prob should go in the fishing column, but oh well. Weeds not bad in the middle, fished from pontoons.

This probably should be a separate thread, but I've always wondered why hunters build camps smack dab in the middle of game country. I've had several elk hunts messed up by people camping in the same meadows where I'd found bulls on my scouting trips. :angry: Same goes with turkeys. Iris Springs off the Greer to Carnero Lake road is a well-known turkey hangout, but every year there will be hunters camped there. What's wrong with camping a few miles away and driving to where the game is? :unsure:

Bill Quimby

Bill, I think you can chalk it up to; One man's camping area is another man's hunting area.....

I was hunting turkeys in unit 23 this past weekend with my boys. We camped in our usual spot, and drove about 4 miles each morning to hunt. There were people camped in the area we hunted, and when we came back for lunch there were people hunting not to far from where we camped! :lol: What can you do???? People are going to camp where they will (me included.....). Not all folks know and understand where all of the game is, nor do they necessarily understand the impact that camping in said game's living room will have. Public land, free country, etc.... ;)

S.

:)

last time I was there, they were hitting a green leach pattern with a flash of tinsel. what was working for you? did you kick out to the reeds and fish around them?

<<<<<<<"We camped in our usual spot, and drove about 4 miles each morning to hunt. There were people camped in the area we hunted, and when we came back for lunch there were people hunting not to far from where we camped! ">>>>>>>>>>

Sun Devil:

Sounds like you're one of the people I was talking about. :P

Bill Quimby

what bill? I think I missed something here. I was just asking about the fishing at carnero. usually when we go to carnero we do not camp out in the middle of the lake.

what bill? I think I missed something here. I was just asking about the fishing at carnero. usually when we go to carnero we do not camp out in the middle of the lake.

Oops! :o I apologize. It was Stanley who said he found others hunting around his camp.

Bill Quimby

I remember taking my young family to Kinnikinick Lake late, late one night. Had never been there before, pulled in set up a tent real quick and went to bed, woke up the next mornng right at the edge of the lake. Not sure how I didn't step in the lake setting up the tent.

I do alot of hunting in places I have never been or had the chance to scout so I could be one of those camping in prime time country, but don't really mean to mess things up, just the way I have had to hunt through the years. :(