Grey Hawk

#unit 27 Elk Rut

Well here it goes, First off I am not an e-scouter in any way shape or form. I am not asking for secret spots or honey holes , I will be going on severl scouting trips before the opener to find some of my own. What I am asking from some of you is feed back rut activity, How many shot opps. did you or your hunter have, what tactic worked best ( calling,spot n stalk, sitting water,exc.) By no means will I let this tag go to waste, I just keep hearing negitive comments about this unit and need to here some positive info so I can get motivated and get my rear in gear.....

Negative comments?? Care to elaborate on what those comments may be? I have the rut muzzleloader hunt this season and all I have heard is to be ready for the elk hunt of a lifetime with the chance at a bull of a lifetime!! Just curious on what negative things you've heard/ are hearing about the unit this season..

Don't go and burst my bubble!!!

The only negative problem you will have in unit 27 is the timing of the rut. Just like any unit in Arizona, you need cool weather, and preferably moisture to really heat up the rut. My experience up there has been that warm, dry weather, affects the rut and the general hunt as well. You just have to change tactics to compensate for it, it just makes for a tougher hunt.

There are plenty of bulls in that unit and some big ones as well.

If the rut kicks in later than usual, the muzzleloader and,or, early rifle hunter can expect outstanding opportunity.

If the rut kicks in later than usual, the muzzleloader and early rifle hunter can expect outstanding opportunity.

And this is EXACTLY what I'm banking on!!!

Muzz hunt starts on 9/25.. There's that chance that they could be off the charts by the time the hunt starts.. I'm planning on being up there 5 days before my hunt starts (in addition to a summer of scouting and learning the unit) to hopefully find the bull I'm looking for and "sit" on him till opening morning...

I've noticed the rut is not taking place until late September the past few years. This is a good set-up for the muzzy hunt, but a bit late for the bow hunt. The bow hunt is always good, just requires a bit more patience then the late Sept. muzzy hunt. They bugle all September long it seems which is all you need to locate them. I base all of my info from areas closer to Flagstaff. Alpine may get cooler quicker, but according to the biologists it's all dependant on length of day, which leads one to beleive temp./moisture has nothing to do with it. You should have a great hunt regardless. Good luck!

Some of the negitive comments I'm refering to is= 1. Roughest country in the state 2. Rut activity starts late in this unit for one reason or another. 3. Shooting lanes, thickest unit in the state. Now don't get me wrong I am not complaining about the tag I drew. These are all problems I've encountered before, and can stratigize around. Sounds to me it's going to get better at the end of the september,I'll be up there for the entire hunt and plan on getting a Bull on the ground....

Unit 27 does have alot of rough country, but mostly below the rim. The majority of the bulls are migratory and live up top where the terrain is much easier to hunt until after the rut is over when they will move into the canyon country and be solitary.

No doubt there is still alot of thick timber and bush up top to deal with.

If there is alot of monsoon acitivity that helps produce good feed and water the elk will be more dispersed, if the hunt is warm and dry they can be concentrated closer to year round water sources and cooler bedding areas.

I have the November archery bull tag in unit 27 this year, and have my work cut out for me during that hunt, but it should a fun and challenging hunt.

Good luck!

My ol man had the early rifle tag in here bout 5 years ago. the way we got onto his bull was that we were gettin a lot of bugles out of the huge meadows before sunrise. There was no way to shoot that long of a distance so we would get on a pattern of watchin the herd bulls move outta these meadows and into the draws before you could even see. Once you figgured out which draw they were using, you just get up really early and just play ambush in that draw. took us almost the whole hunt to figure this out. But worked like a champ! Good luck, and I wish I had that tag!!

This is a great hunt!! Both my sons drew this hunt are beside themselves with excitement. You won't be disappointed.

You have a great tag, and you will have a blast. It just depends on the day. Some days they are screaming a bunch, and other days they wont. But I doubt you will have trouble finding bulls. Last year in 3B they were screaming good on the first of the archery hunt.

I wouldn't say that unit is that bad for bull elk....

Scouting video from back in 07

Not same bull but was taken in 07...

aaron_bull_1.jpg

this one measures out to be off a 360 class bull and he should be alive today unless something of large got to him already.

P1090642.jpg

As for tactics.... get in shape and I mean the best shape of your life!!! Hunt from sun up to sun down and don't ever go back to the truck or camp. That bull above was taken around noon and he only let out a few bugles, I think two before he was shot. Don't over call but don't under call and know what type of call to use and when to use it.

Did I mention get into good shape.... those big bulls like big canyons and rough country at 8000 ft elevation. There isn't much air for us flat landers to live off of and chasing a bull that lives up there all year is brutal on ya.... brutal, but talk about fun!

Good luck,

cmc

Thats what I'm talking about, thats what I needed to see to get my but in gear. Thanks for the wake up call on getting in shape, the workout starts tomarrow.Nice bull

Grey Hawk,

all the best luck with your tag and keep us up to date with all your scouting trips and especially the hunt itself!!!

That bull in the video got me PUMPED!!! What a brute!!