TAM

Swarovski STS 80mm

Looking at upgrading my old spotting scope to a higher end model. Been looking hard at all the high end brands with 80mm+ objective lenses. My question is are the HD models with the flourite coatings worth the extra money? I seem to remember awhile back hearing that if you were planning on using the spotting scope for photography then the HD was worth it. If you were just using it for judging horns then it's not worth the money for the HD. Seems like there is about a $500 to $600 difference in the two.

What does everyone think, HD or no HD?

I personally have the 80mm spotter (non-HD). I've never wanted for anymore clarity. I had the DCA adapter and used it for digiscoping....if your using it to take pictures for kicks/grins and judging purposes, I'd tell you to save the $500-600 bones.

scott

Thanks Scott. At some point I would probably use it for some sort of digiscoping, but not to the extent that I'd be trying to win any awards or sell the prints.

Any other opinions?

you can probably correct the color in photoshop or other photo editors if it's really a problem in your photos. i would guess most people can't tell the difference. i personally wouldn't get the hd.

Yeah, that might've been me that said that. I have the 80HD and bought the HD because I heard that it was better for clarity and color which is better suited for digiscoping as well as general use. The HD is better, if it's $500.00 better? I don't know, I didn't compare the HD with a non-HD, I had the money at the time and wanted the best one. To be honest though, after having it I realized I don't use it near enough to justify the money I spent on it. I love my 15's and spend 95% of my time behind them and 5% of my time behind the spotter.....a cheaper Nikon or Vortex may have been a better investment for me because of my style of glassing, but I have a hard time looking through cheap spotters. I get headaches easy if I deal with much eye strain such as the fuzziness or blurring you get with cheaper scopes on higher power. That was probably my #1 reason for going with the 80HD, it is amazingly clear and bright, even on the higher powers. Either way the Swaro scopes are the best out there, you'll be happy with either one. JIM>

I personally couldn't see any difference between the two when I bought the non HD, but my eyes aren't very good. I mostly carry my little nikon 13-30ED now instead of the heavy Swaro. David

I bought the 80HD last year, I guess one school of thought is if you buy the HD, you never have to wish you had. I hunt with younger guys mostly, so I usually carry my 15 x 56's and a tripod and have one of the young bucks tote the spotter. It is nice to see something with the 15's and than get out the 80HD for verification or more clarity. Honestly, usually one of the young bucks already has it out.

My next Swaro purchase probably is going to be the 25 x 50 eyepiece they just released. That maybe something you want to look into weither you buy the HD or not. I think Doug at Cameraland may have them, but you would have to check that out. Bottomline is I really like my spotter, Take Care, JLG.

Thanks for all the informative responses.

Doug, yes I've taken a pretty close look at the Kowa line of scopes. Although I've yet to look through one. They seem to have quite the following over in the bird watching world, but they just haven't seemed to gain any traction in the hunting world. Seems like if you ask the birders the Kowa's are the best and if you ask the hunters the Swarovski's are top. At some point I think it's splitting hairs, but the two reasons I've ruled Kowa out, at least for now, is first they are the most expensive of all brands I looked at. Second because I don't have any feedback from other hunters on how they'll hold up under "hunting" conditions. My gut just won't let me shell out that kind of cash on a gamble. I would like to look through one though.

The truth is I keep swaying like a willow tree in the wind. I thought I had my mind set to go with one of the big 80mm scopes, and then I talked with Gino this morning and he's got me thinking real hard about the 65mm's. Although he did have a good suggestion.... just buy one of each! Yeah, thanks for the help Gino!

Schmitty is going to let me take a look at his Swaro 65mm HD and I've got another buddy with a Swaro 65mm non HD that I'm going to look through at the same time. Hopefully that will help.

Here's an interesting point on the HD versus non HD question. The eye pieces for the Swarovski scopes are not HD coated. So does using a non HD coated eye piece nulify your expensive glass?

Tim,

The HD designation is for fluoride-containing lenses. Other makers may refer to them as ED or XD. It is not a coating. The HD/ED/XD lenses have less chromatic aberration, hence give sharper images with more contrast. Usually it is just the objective lenses that are HD/ED. I believe the eyepieces are the same for the HD/nonHD spotters.

Looking on BearBasin, the Kowa Prominar 77 with 20-60 is $2465, and the Swaro HD STS 80 w 20-60 is $2828

Either way, Kowa or Swaro, you will get top tier optics.

Doug~RR

Tim,

I still been thinkin' about our conversation yesterday and I really think you will be plenty happy with the STS 65 in the applications we talked about. A little smaller and a touch lighter and in the HD I think it helps 65 be more comparable to the 80. Best of luck, bud!

I've got a non-HD Fujinon and it sucks compared to their HD version. My father-in-law runs a Zeiss 85 diascope and it knocks my socks off every time i use it.

go on ebay, wait and watch for an HD and get it w/o sales tax for less.

Doug, my bad about the HD lenses having fluoride in the glass not coated on the glass. Also good point about the 77mm Kowas being cheaper. Until you mentioned it I had only looked at the 88mm Kowa and not it's smaller counterpart. I'm still not sure I want to take the risk on a scope that doesn't have a lot of history with "hunting conditions".