Sign in to follow this  
lionhunter

Garmin Rino question

I did not really know where to post this where it would get any attention:

Does anyone have the Garmin Mapsource softwhere that will load Topo maps onto a Garmin Rino/Gps. I just got some, and I want to start messing around with them. I would like to have topos of the entire state if they will hold that much info... I live in the NW Valley if anyone is willing to help me out with this.

Thanks in advance

Whitey

Lionhunter,

Do you have the mapsource topo software? if you do it's a very easy process to load them up to your gps. need to use the map tool, select each section you want loaded to your gps, and then there's an option in the tool bar to import to your device. You'll need the usb cord. As to whether or not you can hold the entire state depends on the size of card your device came with. I'm way out in the west valley but could probably help you out. Let me know.

Karl

Thanks, that is some great advice. I think I should have been more specific. I do not have the softwhere. I need someont that has the softwhere to download the topo on my unit. I would be glad to pay for the info.

Thanks.

Whitey

Rio is correct. I bought/use the 2008 topo usa program through the garmin website, as I have a Mac computer and could not find the mac software anywhere local to buy. I believe once you have the software you need to go onto the Garmin website and upload some programs in order to use it. I think it is called garmin roadtrip that you will use to manage your maps, pretty neat program, like rio said, you pick the areas (they show up like grids) you want to download, I use a 1 gig micro sd card and I have plenty of room for the whole state of az and then some. In the roadtrip program, you can select waypoints then download them to your gps, upload waypoints and tracks from the gps to your computer, it has pretty good topographical features which is great to have on there while in the field, and it will show about 95% of the forest roads and named tanks. It is well worth the $100 or so bucks. If you have a mac, let me know, and maybe I could help you out.

Does your gps have a micro sd card? If so I have all of the lower 48 and will soon have all of Alaska. It takes "4" 2gb micro sd cards to get all of the info. Let me know and maybe I can help you out ?

Lionhunter, I can help you out, but it'd have to be in the evening or on the weekend. Just a recommendation, at some point you'll probably want to make the investment and at least get the state topo, it's a better deal if you get the lower 48 state package though. The reason I say this, is I've had senarios where I've been messing around with my unit, and ended up loosing the maps I had loaded, not sure why and it hasn't happened since, but it'll be nice to be able to reload what you want. I also use the Nat. Geo. software for waypoints, I think between these 2, you can cover just about all points of interest, i.e. water holes, springs, windmills, roads, and if I remember correctly Nat. Geo. had some private land identified as well, which is help ful.

The older rinos will not hold the entire state maps. If you bought the new hcxs then they can because they have the expandable memory. But I also have herd that you can buy preloaded memory cards for each state. Anyone know about this??? I have an old version of the software but you cant give it to other people cause it had to be registered with the gps.