Sign in to follow this  
Red Rabbit

Hunt Arizona 2009 Book

I just briefly glanced at some of the info, and found out that the November Archery bull elk hunt that I got drawn for this year had a 0% success rate last year. Hopefully I can help increase that ratio this year! ;)

Brent,

The November archery bull success seemed to vary wildly. 0% in 4 to 40% in 1&2. Many were around 10-15%. Unit 9 was only 22%. If there is a regular snow around Halloween, imagine success will drop as the water hole sitting would be less successful. Last year was dry until about the last day.

Wonder why unit 1 success was much higher than other units? Anyone talk with any of those hunters?

Doug~RR

Brent,

The November archery bull success seemed to vary wildly. 0% in 4 to 40% in 1&2. Many were around 10-15%. Unit 9 was only 22%. If there is a regular snow around Halloween, imagine success will drop as the water hole sitting would be less successful. Last year was dry until about the last day.

Wonder why unit 1 success was much higher than other units? Anyone talk with any of those hunters?

Doug~RR

Wouldn't it just depend on who and how many send their harvest card back in, and even then, did they fill it out honestly? Just the reason mandatory check in would help out immensely.

The main factor is most of the bulls in unit 27 migrate off the Rim, after the rut, into the steep and nasty canyons, and alot of archery hunters may not know this, and may be hunting on top looking for bulls, when all that is up there is cows and dinks???? Oooppps! I gave away a secret ;)

Harvest survey cards would be a factor also, If a few people harvested a bull and didn't report it.

Part of the reason for low success last year

was it was a full moon and the Elk went nocturnal

for the first part of the hunt.

Part of the reason for low success last year

was it was a full moon and the Elk went nocturnal

for the first part of the hunt.

I can relate to that. I went through the full moon, warm weather hunt in 2005. But I think I got it figured out what to do this year if that happens. Maybe :D

Hey Red,

Can you explain how there were 4 hunters with 20 bp's for antelope going into the 09 draw, there was 100% success. Then it says there are 8 people with 21 bp's going into next years draw?

Did those 8 just purchase a bp?

or better yet, why does the 2008 hunt data show 13 with max bps for antelope and the 09 data only accounts for 12?

Thanks