Sign in to follow this  
More D

Looking to get a new truck

The deal is it looks like I can get a '08 and '06 F250 both for a good price. I am wondering about the new 6.4 compared to the 'old' 6.0. I don't know diddly about either one but I have heard rumors that the new 6.4 is getting terrible MPG, like LOW teens in the city.

Can any tell me about there experiences?? MPG, Issues, etc...

Thanks

:ph34r:

It funny, when ever I have a question about stuff I don't know(which happens alot) think of the CWT.com family :D !

I have the '08 6.4l, if you're looking for mpg around town, I wouldn't go with this route, but I'd also have to say that the 6.0l is or won't be much better. Having said that though, the 6.4l will tow just about anything you want.

If you're looking for good mpg while driving with out a load, the duramax is probably the best on the market right now, I have friends that say they're getting any where from 18-22 mpg.

But, once you add a load to both, you're not going to see too much difference in my mind. If you're hauling a 5th wheel or bumper pull trailer, 6-10k lbs, they all going to get around 10-12 mpg pulling at around 65 mph on the highway. At least that's my experience.

I have the 06 super duty--43,000 miles on her and have had no problems. I get about 16 to 18 in the city if i keep my foot out of her--i do have a programmer that is set on economy but that is it. I do have stock tires and no lift but that will change in a week. It gets absolutely fantastic mileage on the freeway! I fill her up in North Phoenix and drive it to Socorro New Mexico and then have a 1/4 of a tank of fuel left! (29 gallon tank)

You can't beat them--not sure about the 08's but my buddy has one and he seems very happy with it.

i have an 06' and get about 17 mpg in town and 20 mpg on the highway

i don't have any accessories, just a stock truck but am very happy with it

Jamaro, no problems with the 08 turbo's, but there were issues with the 04 turbos. There was a problem with the 08 models throwing flames out of the exhaust, this was due to the particulate filter system that they now have on them, it was literally throwing a 3-4 foot flame on some trucks. This was corrected with the addition of a dual tip exhaust with flame retarding vents on it.

Jamaro, no problems with the 08 turbo's, but there were issues with the 04 turbos. There was a problem with the 08 models throwing flames out of the exhaust, this was due to the particulate filter system that they now have on them, it was literally throwing a 3-4 foot flame on some trucks. This was corrected with the addition of a dual tip exhaust with flame retarding vents on it.

Thanks for the correction... And what is wrong with a little flameage out the pipes??? Chick's would dig that...

J

i've bought a couple hundred super dutys for work over the past years, and they've been a reliable truck. i've always been a gm man, but i think the next truck i get will be a ford, for one reason, they are not part of the obama motor company. Lark.

Thanks to all for the replys!!

I ended up with the '08 4x4. I was not against the '06 but it was a 2wd. I am very happy so far! I got 21+ on the highway an now with the city driving I ended up just over 18mpg. Our 'o5 Armada with 52k gave me 16mpg average. I just can't wait to tow our 26ft TT (7900lb loaded) I am sure it will be a huge difference pulling and mileage wise as well.

Again thanks a ton to all!!

OK reality has set in .....14city/18-19hwy. I am still gool with that, I am right around the average from the Armada but with much more of a truck.

OK reality has set in .....14city/18-19hwy. I am still gool with that, I am right around the average from the Armada but with much more of a truck.

Are those hand calculated numbers or taken from the overhead console if they have one?