lucky2hunt

Any White Mountain Experts?

Going to the shoot at Sunrise, we are leaving tomorrow (Tuesday). Last time we were there the 273 road was still closed as was the forest (too dry) so we camped in the camp ground there at Sunrise. Not familar with the area at all, we would like to camp off the 273 rd, close to the shoot but in Nat. Forest, are there plenty of spots off that road or are we better off going somewhere else? We will have non-shooters with us hoping to be close to fishing.

Thanks for any help,

Ilene

Thanks RR! Is there water in White Mountain Reservoir? On Google Earth it shows it dry, but I don't know when that picture was taken.

Thanks again!

Ilene

Ilene, most likely dry. The fishers in your group could try Sunrise, the Greer lakes, or Lee Valley (as opposed to driving all the way to Big, but the new road may make it nice).

Ilene, most likely dry. The fishers in your group could try Sunrise, the Greer lakes, or Lee Valley (as opposed to driving all the way to Big, but the new road may make it nice).

You will need Apache licenses to fish on Sunrise and camp on the reservation.. The Greer lakes would work, but Hoyer campground still is closed and you probably will have to find a place for a throwdown camp outside the Greer recreation area. Benny Creek campground fills fast. If you leave tomorrow (Tuesday) it should be early enough, I think, to get a campsite at Big lake. It's not that far a drive back to Sunrise, and the road is in good shape.

Bill Quimby

If you want to camp in a campground, I would try winn Campground-it is close to Lee Valley Reservoir and a really nice place to camp. If you would like to camp on the forest and not in a campground, you can take forest road 116-The road that turns off of big lake road and goes toward reservation lake- and pic a spot. There are some corrals that you can see from the road that have some nice campsites nearby and your group will be close to fishing on lee valley resv, crescent lake , big lake, and the west fork of black river. These are all on forest service land and only require a state license. You will also be close to reservation lake and drift fence lake if you choose to buy a reservation permit. As far as I have heard, there are no restrictions on camping on the forest at this time-call and check this out before you go- I could be wrong about this. All my fly fishing friends tell me that the place to be fishing right now as far as lakes are concerned are cresent. pacheta, and canero. Lee Valley has experienced a recent algae bloom, and big lake is producing a lots of small stocker fish. Pacheta has been producing some really big fish, not great numbers, and it is a catch and release lake. the guys that I know that have done well at pacheta are pretty technically advanced fly fishermen, and have a lot of patience. If I was going to go someplace now and hope for a good result with bait I think it would be Cresent-I have it from a local that they have been catching some nice brookies there. Good luck and enjoy your time in the Mountains.

Ted B.

Thanks everyone! Will be sitting around the campfire by this time tomorrow night! I appreciate all the help.

Ilene

Well- you never gave us a follow-up. Where did you camp? Fish?

Dennis

:P Ha ha Sorry! Had a great time, got there a little late on Tues. had a hard time finding a camp, it seems like everyone went up the weekend before and set up camp and then left. We stayed at Winn campground the first night, then took the Ranger out at 5:30 the next morning to look for a camp. Found an amazing, secluded spot off FS rd 112 for ourselves and our friends (4 trailers) for the next 6 days. Rain every day and cool temps, but still extremely nice and beautiful. Spent the first couple of days doing nothing! Sitting under a tree and relaxing. Kids fished Sunrise, my son had a huge trout on his line while in a float tube, got it up to the tube then lost it, he was still thrilled. I was busy with the shoot Sat. & Sun. but squeezed in a little fly fishing at Lee Valley, caught a real nice Apache, wind and rain made it a little difficult. Walked up a hill behind camp and had a perfect seat for the firework display, adults got a bigger kick out of them than the kids I think! All in all a perfect week (well if I could of shot better it would have been perfect).

Going back next week for the Bowhunter, will hopefully camp in the same spot. This time I hope to get a little more fishing in! :rolleyes: AND Better shooting!!! ;)

Hope to see some CW fans up there!

Ilene

Pic of my husband getting assuming the "relaxation position"

IMG_0378.jpg

Glad you had a good time. It was crowded up there and a lot of folks stayed the whole week. We camped just past Mexican Hay lake and had it mostly to ourselves.