Sign in to follow this  
azelkhunter2

Lazzeroni warbird

308 thank you for your honesty...I did start out with the 180 gr accubond shot close to 60 of them...Could not hit the ocean from the beach with them!!..I have not tried any 190 or 200 gr rounds that was my next step till I was told go shorter and lighter by a local gunsmith..I will sh*** can the MRX....I have a box of 180 and 200 gr partition I will try and slow things down a bit and see what happens with those...I tried RL22 and IMR 7828 as thats all I had around...I would like to try retumbo if I can find any..I did have a bore scope done at 200 rounds it looked as good as it did when new. As far as the bergers go I have never shot them and dont know anyone who does ....How do they perform on large game??.....I dont really care about speed I just want to know that the round will go where it needs to......Thanks again....Dave

As far as what round I shoot in my ultra mag...180 gr accubond

If you dont mind slowing things down a bit, then definately try some H50BMG powder with both the 180 and 200 NP's you have. If 50 powder doesnt help, try the Retumbo.

The 1-13 twist is NOT your friend with these heavier bullets. I think you will be limited to 168 VLDs. You can possibly shoot 180s but not VLDs. If you want to try a good bullet that is designed for a 1-12.5 but will usually shoot good in a 1-13 twist, try some 187 BIB bullets. They are tangent, 10 ogive, FLATBASE target bullets. I think they will handle your velocity. Call Dave Tooley and ask him!! He is a pretty smart guy. Forget the 180s and 190s with that barrel though, only the flatbases will work.

If you want to try a really good bullet that is commonly available but doesn't have the highest BC, get a box of Sierra 180 pro hunters. If it won't shoot those, it won't shoot any 180s.

I can't help you on the powder choices other than to say that I know Karl used R25 at one time. You are going to wear out that barrel looking for the magic bullet if you aren't careful. They are probably only good for about 1200 rounds at most.

It takes more twist to adequetely stabilize a 168 TSX which is what he is using now due to its low specifec gravity than a jacketed lead 180 ballistic tip or interbond. The 168 Barnes is actually on the ragged edge of stability. The 180 AB's, or even VLD' s will have a higher stability factor than the 168 Barnes. If he is getting them to stabilize, he will have no problem getting conventional 180's and even some 200's to stabilize.

When the outdoorsman was developing their outdoorsmans 30-378 rifles, they went as slow as 14 twist running 180 BT's with phenominal accuracy. There isnt much difference between the 30-378 and the warbird.

Berger bullets also recomeds a 13x for their 175 VLD. These are just recomendations and based on average velocities. There is room to spare, espescially at the velocities the warbird is running them.

If bench rest shooters can get a 168 SMK's to stabilize at 2400 FPS in a 14x barrel with groups shooting anywhere from .100-.200 MOA, I assure you a 180 in a 13x at well over 3000 FPS wont have any issues not even in the accuracy department.

I personally shoot the patriot but have a couple friends that shoot the warbird. I will talk to them and find out what they are loading and what their groupings are. I would imagine that it is not any better than what you are getting.