Str8Shot

Native Resident proposal

I have a question for everyone here on how long you have been in AZ and do you feel that spending so many years supporting a state and their game and fish should entitle you to some considerations when it comes to hunts...

Fist off I was born and raised in this state , I have learned to love the land that az offers us from fishing the lakes to hunting the mountains... Our family has been in az from the early days... I have many friends that were also born in AZ and feel the same way as I when it comes to how the rules for angling and hunting our state have changed since we were kids and the lack of input that we the people who have been here our whole lives in the system... We want to change that !!!

We want to See AZ hunters come together and make the years spent in AZ mean something beyond 3 or 4 years of being let down year after year when it comes to big game draws in az... The Idea we have thought about goes beyond the loyalty bonus point and changes it to a accumulated bonus point structure based on the years of arizona residency...

Looking at the math we feel that 1 bonus point for every 15 years of AZ residency up to a max of 3 additional bonus points would be a way to show the true loyalty To those that have spent there Time supporting the AZ outdoors and will give common ground to all based on time vs how they have hunted, For example ( A person hunting archery deer for the last 15 years who now has to put in for a draw on prime archery hunts should not have to wait for 5 failed attempts to get 1 loyalty bonus point) ...

We would like everyones insight into this .... How long you have been in AZ were you born here .... and ideas you think would make consideration for the years supporting your state and your game and fish ...

Thanks

Chris

Would i like it heck yes i would be in for 2 points with 37 years.Do i think it would ever happen no way they outnumber us to ever have it happen.If you ever get the game and fish to look at it i would support you.

Do natives get extra points? :lol: Just kidding. But in all seriousness, I was born here and at 24 would be eligible for 1 extra point, and my dad would be for 2. I think it would be great, but it's all about revenue, and they get more revenue from out-of-state tag holders. I would definitely support your proposition, but I highly doubt G&F will.

I was born in Tucson 73 years ago. Although I would not turn down the three bonus points, I am afraid the concept might spread to other states that I hunt.

Instead of getting bogged down with the details of the failed lottery process, why don't we hunters and the game department use our combined energy and creativity to search for solutions that might allow us to hunt when and where we want without damaging Arizona's deer herds?

Bill Quimby

do they meet the 10% cap every year? if the cap isn't a mandatory meet (i'm not sure on the details) then giving az residents an advantage could lower the % within the 10% allowance, therefore greatly affect the revenue from out-of-state tags. 10% is quite a bit when you're talking about thousands of applications.

Even though I am not an Arizona native, I have lived here for 36 of my 47 years. I have hunted in Arizona every year since the age of 11.

I do not expect any special consideration for my years of hunting support, simply for the reason that I do not expect much from any Local,State, or federal government. The taxpayers are the grease that keep the machine running, and unfortunately, the machine is a hungry beast, that cares little for our personal wants and needs.

That being said, I feel the only way to change any State department is to allow the voters to decide on how things are going to be run. Allow the hunters to vote on who gets elected as G&F commissioner instead of the Govenor, allow the hunters to elect the G&F commission, allow the hunters to vote on the issues that effect all of us in the long run. Force the commission to make decisions that affect game animals based on sound scientific fact and evidence and not on biased decisions that may or may not be financially driven.

There are ways to change the entire system, including the draw, but it makes the system more complicated, and of course ends up costing more in the long run.

The only way any Government department or agency will ever change anything is, if they are forced to do it, or they can get more money from it.

Just my opinion! :)

Sounds like a good IDEA but haven't we seen the light yet. The BONUS point system is a flawed system. They want something else to sell. We need to go to a prefrence point system. For the dedicated hunters. I know people that put in for the same unit every year and have 10-15 bonus points and someone else gets a tag the second year putting in for the same hunt.

I don't believe length of residency should have anything to due with the bonus point system. You are assuming that if you've lived in AZ for a long time that you've supported G&F that entire time. I know guys who have lived in AZ for 30 years and have purchased fewer than 5 licenses with even fewer big game tags. Should this guy get preference over the five year resident that puts in every year for all species? I don't think so.

I would much prefer to see a system that creates preference for the hardcore hunter over the casual weekend warrior / camp with guns crowd. I think we already have two areas where this is created - first hunters safety point and second loyalty point. I think they could also add some others such as the conservation point that was being discussed. Maybe modify the loyalty point system so that a point is awarded for every 5 years you apply.

Do they need to improve the system to give more "consideration" to the more active? Absolutely!! Does it have anything to do with residency? I don't think so.

The whole Point here is trying to find out how long people here have hunted AZ and how long they have been here in the state and if they were born here ... if your telling me that someone who has had a hunting/fishing licence in this state for 30 plus years and been let down countless times on big game draws year after year does not deserve some consideration from someone who has been here for 5 years that seems crazy ...I am not talking apples and oranges I am not talking to the non hunters here .... this is on an AZ hunters forum not just and AZ forum I am asking this question to hunters who may have an opinion that is all...

An interesting question though. just because I grew up/live in arizona doesn't mean I've hunted that whole time. In fact, I haven't, since some years I've been out of state for college, or too young to hunt (that didn't last more than 7 years though...my dad was determined I be the first female hunter in the family.

In that case, should I still be given the same benefit as someone like my dad for example, who has been putting in for bighorn sheep without fail for 23 years and just this draw was successful in getting the tag?

So a 16 year old born in AZ would receive preferential treatment to a 65 YO who moved to AZ in the second grade????? HUH?

There is already a loyalty point for applying the last 5+ consecutive years, and the 20% bonus pass that help those long-term applicants who have not drawn.

A plan to reward with BPs those who work X number of hours on approved wildlife habitat projects and actually put back into wildlife was scrapped.

And now to propose a BP reward based on birthplace which would subdivide AZ residents is warrantless and self-serving, imo!

Under this proposal, would/should a person who finally draws lose their "native" points, as the objective to help them out of the 'drawless period' was met?

Red Rabbit If you read it right what this group discussed is based on years not actually been born in the state and the loyalty point is after 5 failed draw attempts per species ... SO my buddy that hunted exclusivly archery for 17 years and now has to put in for his favorite archery hunts has no Loyalty point ... how is that fair to him ?

I have lived in Arizona all of my 59 years and don't feel that just having to happen to have been born here should give me preferential treatment over any other resident hunter-no matter where they were born. I like RR's idea-give extra consideration to people who give time and labor to improving habitat-makes sense to me.

Ted B.