Hi guys, I've been on this site for approximately 2.5 years trying to grasp all the information and learn on my own. The information, the humor, and the fact that we are all hunters is the reason why I keep coming back to this site. Now its time for me to post a Question. I just picked up the june/july magazine of bow and arrow and there was an article about mountain coues. The author was eddie claypool. He made it sound so easy about coming down to the Pinaleno moutains and doing a day or two of scouting. He stated he wanted to find a natural funnel. Now i've been out and found lots of deer sign, deer rubs, and even bumped some deer while doing this. I myself want to find a natural funnel, how do i find this and how do i know I found what i'm looking for. I've killed me a nice little 2 by 2 out of a blind, the deer was 11 yds. I feel i just had to be at the right place at the right time. In other words i feel i was just lucky. I want have the edge and not to rely on luck alone. any help would be appreciated.

good luck in 2005!!!

I think it depends on your meaning of a funnel. Ther can be two types of funnels I think of. One would be a saddle into a nice secluded bowl in the top of a ridge. The other would be the exscape rute that a buck would use to high tail it out of that bowl. If you look at a high ridge line you can almost tell were the natural bowls are. They do not have to be very deep at all either.

To me a funnel is a new term but that is how i would read into the question asked.

I hope we get some good feed back on this one I would like to know what you all fill a funnel is.

When shed hunting and walking deer trails I notice spots where like 4 or 5 deer trails will come together and make one big deer trail going someplace or another. Usually it is to a water source or over a saddle or into a bowl like Jade was saying. I guess those are funnels, most of the time there are no big treestand trees around, but maybe a ground blind might work. Maybe thats what he was reffering to though in the article...

Bret M.

Thunderbolt

Hi, and welcome to the discussion forum. Its a pretty cool site, don`t ya think? I think if you are going to get real technical a funnel would be a convergance area or an area that has a lot of stuff going on. I agree with most of the other guys about a saddle or a definite easy spot to either escape or get into a feeding area,water hole, or otherwise secluded bowl. The way to find these is to start shed hunting,or just hiking and learn the area you wish to hunt as intimately as possible. The more things an area has going for it the more sign and deer you will probably find. Food ,Water,Cover, shelter from wind, etc.. Sometimes hunting articles make stuff seam real easy and I have found that is not usually the case. I have had the best luck in areas that I have spent the most time in. I think most of the guys and gals would probably say the same thing. Good Luck Coues Addict

I have read about "funnels" for years in hunting magazines and generally they describe natural or man made barriors or geologic structures, thick brush, fencelines or even scrapes etc, that cause deer to take a particular route through an area.

In most of these articles, they talk mainly about flatter land, with slight draws or washes but the theme is all the same with flat land or mountains. The deer do have patterns and generally follow them pretty consistently. Lots of articles talk about using Topo maps and arial pictures to locate natural funnels before foot scouting. I apply some of the map funnel theory too. Before I go into an area I always have a topo map and photos from terraserver if possible. You may not see the deer on a trail using the maps, but it gives you a start of a plan when you get to the area.

Long story, but funnels are real, but they are different in every area so looking for a varity of the possible funnel sides is the key.

I will say I do see alot of deer and Elk along fence lines. This is a good place to pick up trails.

yeah, I use funnels a lot. Especially in my old chevy. you can get plastic funnels at checkers,pep boys or autozone.But if your more environmentally conscious you can get paper ones at circle K. you can use them for engine or transmission oil and sometimes even for coolant.I hope this post gives you a better idea of what funnels can do for ya.

welcome,

Wade

now how do you go about reading maps besides looking for water holes. I've read where guys can pinpoint certain areas by just looking at maps. some out of staters do all there scouting by maps. I've used a trail cam and have had a lot luck with just doe and coudamunde pics, just never any bucks. I've even had my trail cam ripped off the tree. I found it 15 to 20 feet away lying on the ground.

thanks for the reponses.

now how do you go about reading maps besides looking for water holes.  I've read where guys can pinpoint certain areas by just looking at maps.  some out of staters do all there scouting by maps.  I've used a trail cam and have had a lot luck with just doe and coudamunde pics, just never any bucks.  I've even had my trail cam ripped off the tree.  I found it 15 to 20 feet away lying on the ground.

thanks for the reponses.

Well with topo maps it is easy. You can see the lay of the land and the how steep a canyon is by how close the lines are to each other. You can not beat a topo when looking for funnels other than just getting out and hiking in the area. I use topos for everything I do from hunting to prospecting. I even use them for work in the form of plumbing blue prints. :D

Funnels are usually formed by either the natural landscape/topography, and/or the natural vegetation. As previously mentioned saddles and thick strips of trees or brush that act as travel ways for deer. Coues deer, especially mature bucks, are masters of using natural funnels. These are areas where deer can move about even during daylight with minimal exposure. They also use them to escape danger. It's been discussed on here numerous times about how coues deer have a tendancy to water at mid day, and many times they are using natural funnels to lead them to the water without moving into the open. During the rut often times these funnels serve as rub and scrape lines. Sometimes they are only a thin strip of vegetation only 12-15 feet wide that follows a cut or draw up a hillside but provides a deer enough cover to move about without being in the open. If you find an active funnel put up a trail camera and you'll be amazed at the amount of deer and other critters that move through them.