Sign in to follow this  
SilentButDeadly

How to stop (or decrease) trail camera theft.

Wondering if I should go off the assumtion that none of the ones that were snagged were in places they aren't allowed to be? :P Get a old case of one off ebay, and set it out semi hidden, and then hide your real one really well away from it at a different angle, who would use 2 trailcams in one spot. :blink: might work, might not, I don't use them so I guess I never really worried about it.

The trail camera subject is like STEROIDS in sports, people need to start getting caught and degrated before they will stop doing it.

I say post the dang thing so we can KICK some @$#! Its truly ridiculious and if I catch someone stealing my camera I AINT going to be calling the law, they are going to meet my fist and then my foot.

Yes, I am bitter. I had my first camera stolen two years ago and it pist me off. If someone wants to plug into my camera and check out the pics, go ahead. Just don't steal my #$#@. I have two on a water hole right now, and they aren't hidden, so someone might get lucky.

I also don't by this BS about you shouldn't put them on high profile spots or out in the open. Thats like saying, a good looking women that was wearing a bikini when she got raped, deserved it. :unsure:

Post it! If somebody reconizes him, it will be the last time he does something like that.

Good luck on your hunts!

A couple of Saturdays ago I went to check my camera and do some scouting around where I plan on archery hunting. I happened to come across somebody elses camera setup on a trophy rock I would say only a couple hundred yards from my camera. I noticed the rock first then I looked for the camera, the camera was only attached to the tree by 2 black shoe strings no lock no nothing. Of course I left it alone did not disturb the area hopefully no thief finds it they would easily take it, but they would have to hike to find it well hidden. It was a cudde back excite in unit 24 pm me if this is somebodies on this site.

Post it!

If you have a picture of a thief/vandal stealing/vandalizing your camera and you are not going to post the picture, THEN DON'T EVEN BRING IT UP!!! <_< What is the purpose of telling us if you're not going to post it?

-Tracy

SBD

sad to say but camera theft is one of the things we hunters have to put up with, fortunately i'm developing a steel lock box to put over my NEW camera ( as my old one didn't have a tracking device in it either) i'll let you know how it works. if the next crook wants my new one he'll have to cut down the whole tree.

MADDBOMBER

I say post the picvs and video's of the thieves. Enough people will see them and will probably notice them while we are out in the field. That way we can get license plate numbers and such for law enforcement.

my .02

just what are the laws about trail cameras? didn't the forest circus decide a couple years ago it was illegal? Lark.

just what are the laws about trail cameras? didn't the forest circus decide a couple years ago it was illegal? Lark.

I'm not sure about FS, I know for a fact that you can't leave them on Wildlife Refuges. If LE finds them they'll confiscate them, and you've got a really good likelyhood of getting a littering ticked if they find out who left it.

On another note, if you ARE using it in a legal location, has anyone looked into a gps style transponder?.....or a sticker that claims it has a transponder. ;)

gamehauler never gets his stolen because he puts em in the shower at the ymca. Lark.

:( Thats the YWCA <_<

At least I don't set them up at the nursing homes like you ;)