Hey everyone, I know this has nothing to do with coues deer, but I was wondering what hunts you put in for in both AZ and NM, what guns you're going to use etc. This buck is one I got 2 years ago in unit 13 in NM. I used my Savage 25-06 at 180 yards.

I am , as my name states, a COUESNUT.

But i've been appling for a Ant. tag for over 25 yrs, never been drawn......

You guys with 5 , 6 or 12 pts. can KMA"

You can have every Elk tag... Don't care, Kill'em all...All ready have my desert sheep....I'm done...

I don't even put my son in for Ant. Keep him out of the pool.

I know I'm sick, but there is a cure.

DH

Hey everyone,  I know this has nothing to do with coues deer,  but I was wondering what hunts you put in for in both AZ and NM,  what guns you're going to use etc.  This buck is one I got 2 years ago in unit 13 in NM.  I used my Savage 25-06 at 180 yards.

Don't hate me, but I drew a rifle Antelope tag in 2001 with 1 point.

Try the muzzleloader hunts as a second choice. slightly better odds and most of the high bonus point hunters are staying with the rifle hunts. Todays ML'ers are capable of shooting 200 yards with good accuracy.

I also drew a rifle antelope tag in 2001 with only 1 point (2A). I shot my buck at 225 yards using my .300 win mag, that's when I quit using ballistic tips. This year I put in for archery hunts only.

BTW I don't see an antelope buck coues slayer???

I am putting in anticipating the same as the last 6 years.......NADA........have never drawn any tag for Elk, Sheep, Antelope, Bear or premium deer. I have drawn 2 october coues tags...............hope this is my lucky year in AZ but if not, I think I will be going to CO on a landowner tag for Muleys.....come on draw gods..........Allen Taylor..........

c'mon buranuts, ya gotta think positive. it only took me 26 years to get an Az. pronghorn permit and 30+ for sheep and still no tag, but every year i think this is the year. a friend said the other day that a guy told him (sound like a fishin' story?) that this year the azgfd was gonna clean out all the guys with max bonus points for elk. everyone of em will get their first or second choice. this is only for guys that have never been drawn since bonus points started and have the hunter's safety point. there are only like 30 of em. anyway, he called the azgfd and they confirmed that that was the plan. what a quandary. man, there are some good elk tags to be had. has anyone else heard this "rumor". wish they would do that for sheep. Lark.

Seems to me that would slightly illegal since they said nothing about it in the regs and never asked for public comment on it.

I think where this comes from is the fact that they raised the set aside for point holders from 10% to 20%. That will give tags to probably 99% of all max point holders.

If you have max points or even 1 point less than max, put in for your dream hunt this year, ie unit 10 or 1 early rifle or unit 1 or 9 archery. Don't settle for less than your dream.

DesertBull,

You hit it on the head. The regs changed this year to allot 20% of the tags in those bonus point hunts to the folks with the highest bonus points for each hunt. In theory that will clear a lot of the folks with max points out of the pool, but in the case of antelope and sheep I think there are so many with the max. that 20% still won't deplete those at max.

Lee

Sorry AZpackhorse my computer wouldn't load the picture so I'm gonna keep on trying, he is 13 3/4, 14 in on each side though just so ya know

Couesnut,

You should change your name to Antelopenut or Pronghornnut, keeping your kid out the the draw pool so as to not add to your competition, that's cold, LOL. I know dads can give their youngins their tags if they want, maybe you should petition the G & F to reverse that rule to where kids can give their desperate old man their tags. Hope you get your tag this year.

My real fear is he will get drawn for early bull & I'll get that Ant. tag. Same hunt dates.... He can have my Dec. Coues Tag... All the Elk Tags... Sheep will come??? But he just going to have to wait on the Ant.

I've been called a Cold Hearted Bastard before, I'm not offended.

I will take him to Mex. & Alaska In the next few years. So he's not hurten.

DH

Nut, I have the same dilema as you........my son Travis may draw the Kaibab or Early bull......I put him in seperately and hope if we draw our dates dont overlap or conflict..........Hope I have some problem WHEN I draw a tag........LOL........Allen.......

COUESNUT, you should be applying in new mexico, brother. Probably would have pulled a tag over there by now, and they have some great goats.