Sign in to follow this  
Red Rabbit

Kaibab Grouse

While many hunters headed into the forests surrounding Flagstaff for elk, Rica was the copilot in the truck to the North Kaibab for the grouse opener. The trek north lead through the Navajo Rez where verga fell and the Painted Desert turned pastel.

GrandCanyon-NorthRim9-12-09006.jpg

CopyofGrandCanyon-NorthRim9-12-0-4.jpg

While driving south from Jacob Lake through DeMotte Park, the road shoulders were bordered with numerous mule deer, mostly does and fawns, which were feeding on the roadside greenery. Some fawns stood on the centerline evoking a rapid vehicular braking.

Our group of four hunters managed only one bird on Saturday. Rica and I did however manage to flush three grouse in the thick cover. Two of the thunderous rises were heard but unseen. The third offered only a fleeting glimpse.

This year we saw a lot of elder berries in the openings. We tried keying on areas to hunt with this food source. Only one small grove of aspens was changing colors. It looks like it will be another two weeks before more yellow splotches the forest.

CopyofGrandCanyon-NorthRim9-12-0900.jpg

CopyofGrandCanyon-NorthRim9-12-0-3.jpg

CopyofGrandCanyon-NorthRim9-12-0901.jpg

CopyofGrandCanyon-NorthRim9-12-0-2.jpg

The Sunday morning hunt produced no birds, so I drove out to Saddle Mountain to take in the view.

CopyofGrandCanyon-NorthRim9-12-0902.jpg

GrandCanyon-NorthRim9-12-09013.jpg

After visiting the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, we headed home to Flagstaff, traveling along the Vermillion Cliffs and crossing the Colorado River at Marble Canyon.

CopyofGrandCanyon-NorthRim9-12-0-1.jpg

CopyofGrandCanyon-NorthRim9-12-0926.jpg

Doug~RR

Nice trip Doug! Sorry you didn't any birds, but sounds like you all had a good time and certainly took in some fantastic scenery!! Thanks for the always creative write-up and excellent pics to go with it!

Amanda

Amanda,

We tried proven spots, but was just to be a walk in through the trees. The first two grouse took flight about 20 yards ahead of me, and I never saw them. The third came from the other side of an elderberry as I had one foot up int heair while stepping over something. By the time I located him, he was just going into the tree canopy near the edge of a canyon. Just a fleeting glimpse.

The views from the north rim certainly did not disappoint. The Point Imperial looks like it would be nice in the early morning sunrise. The edge faces the east. So I guess there is a reason to return.

Doug

I sure do love that country! Thanks for sharing Doug!

I'm itching to get up there again soon, but I think my first real shot will be spring turkeys. Maybe youth OTC....

Thanks again!

S.

:)

Ran into my first Grouse in Az on the spring turkey hunt in 27. Scared the B- Jeezus out of me when it fluttered out of a spruce pine!

Have to put that hunt on the radar. Looks like the leaves are definetely changing on some of the trees. I saw it was 37 degrees @ the Grand Canyon this morning.

AzP&Y

Sounds like a great hunt. Thanks for sharing. At least you saw birds.