Sign in to follow this  
jakehaffey

Trail cam methods!

I am pretty new to trail cams and like everyone that has tried them became addicted. I was just wondering if anyone would like to give some advice on what makes for a good spot or what makes a spot good? The first place I put a cam up I found a trail and at the time there was a pocket of water near. I also put some feed out and it seemed to help attract more game. Anyways just wanted to know if anyone out there wanted to help out the newbies on successful pics?

What you just described is the exact recipe for getting your camera stolen! I have a couple of standing rule:

1. Don't put your camera out during hunting season.

2. Don't put your camera on "off the road" watering holes

3. Don't leave it out over the weekend (if possible)

4. If you insist on putting it on water holes put it on the trails leading to the water not directly one the water.

None of these will gaurantee that your cam won't get stolen but living the previous rules will help keep your camera a "little" safer.

Scott

tried them became addicted

My advice would be look towards some of Arizona's Wilderness areas.

Prior to a trip in there, study some maps and pick 3 prospective areas within a mile (once you arrive at your primary spot looking at maps). Strap on a pack and head in there overnight. I'm talking MILES not yards. Wake up early and check out your 3 potential areas (sign,trails- possibly a spring or 2). Be secretive , yet selective of where you mount the camera. Secure it with the method of your choice - knowing anything can be removed with the right tools.

If you have the set up, install a solar panel or 12v battery. Leave the area alone for 2-3 months, while using any one of the commercial bait attractants on the market.

Upon arrival to check the camera (this is the Christmas morning part)- bring a viewer or camera to view the SD card. This second visit will give you some concrete data. Do I continue to work this spot? or venture to another? or is my camera gone and I know this is a thieving area?

Wilderness eliminates- all mechanized (including mountain bikes) and motorized vehicles. Foot and horse is about all you will find.

At the very least, you will be in better physical shape when you whack that buck,bear or bull having covered some ground and learned some new country.

Good luck & don't get discouraged, it can take time for the spot to develop and turn on!

- The bug bites deep!

AzP&Y

post-898-1253044439_thumb.jpg

You might look up some of the older strings, there has been some discussions like this before.

I have personally been putting them on game trails and try to keep them away from water holes, unless the waterhole is really...and I mean really remote. Sometimes it is worth a chance, it's not like every person in the woods is a thief.

Things like food and salt etc are great for getting good pictures, because you have a pretty good idea that their head is going to be there at some point. Other than that, I'm pretty new at this myself. Good luck, have fun. :)