Sign in to follow this  
Coach

1987 4Runner with Solid Font Axle

Hey guys,

I'm selling my 1987 4Runner. I've done a lot to this truck to try and make it a perfect "trail truck". It's a really great looking/great running truck. Everywhere I drive it, it gets a lot of attention. As with most trucks that have had this type of conversion, there are still some areas that I would work on if I were keeping it. I would be happy to discuss all of those with any perspective buyers and I'll do my best to list them up front. It's not really a daily driver unless you're in a smaller town. Our family's main truck, an F250 was stolen recently and I need to sell this truck to make up the difference between what our insurance company is giving us and what it will take us to get back on the road with a similar vehicle.

Here are some pictures along with a list of what has been done so far.

post-478-1253328092_thumb.jpg

post-478-1253328124_thumb.jpg

post-478-1253328170_thumb.jpg

• Trail-Gear IFS Eliminator Kit w/1984 solid front axle and 4” springs

• Trail-Gear 4” rear lift kit.

• ARB Air locker (on-demand) in front differential with dash-mounted controls and under-the-hood compressor

• 5:29 Gears

• Aussie locker (full time) in rear differential

• Trail-Gear crossover steering

• Trail-Gear 10” long-spline drive shaft with creeper joint

• Both axles fully rebuilt with all new seals, bearings, etc.

• Trail-Gear rock sliders with Durabak

• Almost new Goodyear Wrangler MTR 35” tires on custom reverse-backspaced wheels

• Thorley “Tri-Y” header

• Custom swing-out spare tire/gas can carrier

• Custom roof rack

• Custom Durabak exterior/interior highly scratch resistant coating

• 12” Bilstein shocks

On the down-side, the front drive shaft is a heavy duty Trail Gear drive shaft that isn't designed for "balanced applications" as they put it. What this means is that in 4x4 at speeds over about 12MPH you can feel significant vibration. A custom built balanced drive shaft runs around $300 but I have had to put it in 4x4 so few times because of the rear locker it hasn't been worth the money or effort. The AC works, but needs periodic recharging. Also, at the header there is a small exhaust leak that you can hear while driving - fixable with a quality "crush" gasket. The rubber boots on the cross-over steering have cracked but can be easily replaced. Finally, as with all 4Runners, it's heavier in back than in the front. Adding the roof rack, custom swing out bumper and heavy spare (35") tire and gas cans exaggerates this. It could probably use either a heavy front winch bumper with winch, or removing a leaf up front on each side to get the balance more centered. These are all fairly simple fixes, but I'm not selling anything without telling you the bad along with the good. Karma can either be an angel or a bitch depending on how you treat people.

Bottom line is, this is a great looking and great running truck, and very versatile hunting rig. It's loaded with upgrades. But if you're looking for a commuting vehicle or don't want to have to make "tweaks" along the way to get it the way you want it, it might not be a good fit.

I was originally asking 8K, but given the slow economy and the fact that I really need to sell it so we can get back into a family vehicle, I posted it on Craigslist and locally for $6900. Add into that the fact that it could take some money and elbow grease to get it just the way you might want it, I am offering it on CWT for FTF pricing $6000 - no trades please. Any less and I'm losing too much - I'll just hang onto it until my sons get to driving age.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Jason

I'll trade you straigt across for a 86 Toyota Pickup and you can have the joy of doing all of the same stuff to it. I will even deliver it. :lol:

If I didn't already have a toyota that I was trying to sell (although not as nice as your 4runner), I would seriously look at yours. There is nothing like a good quality yota and yours looks good.

Someone needs to jump on this 4runner.

Is it a v 6 or a 4?Im trying to sell my fj-40 so i can get some thing bigger like yours.you have done everything i want to make a good hunting rig.