Sign in to follow this  
HillbillyNnevada

Abert's Squirrel...

Please don't laugh but I am getting ready to ask for advice on where I can find a trophy Abert's squirrel, haha. I saw an Abert's squirrel and a Kaibab squirrel mounted as a pair in a taxidermy shop and the mount was really cool. I would like to collect a set of these uniqure squirrels for my trophy room before I move back East. Plus, I figure I can get some use out of the AZ license that I never get to use.

I think I have the Kaibab squirrel covered but I haven't hunted for anything South of the ditch. My plan was to start by hunting some Ponderosa pines around the Flagstaff area to find an Abert's.

Are Abert's squirrels plentiful around Flagstaff? Any certain areas better than others?

I only need one Aberts. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

As you said, look in the ponderosa pine areas. Might consider a shotgun instead of a .22 so you do not tear up the hide too much. #7 1/2 or #8 shot would be fine.

There are still plenty of leftover fall turkey tags on the North Kaibab to make it a combo hunt.

http://www.azgfd.gov/pdfs/eservices/2009FallFirstCome.pdf

just go anywhere along the rim, if you drive the 300 road they area ALL over, clints well area, just somewhere like that there are tons of them, killed a couple with my bow this past weekend up on the rim when sitting around camp, they taste good too