Sign in to follow this  
narrox

Camp Navjo Access

I would like to find a better way into the north side of 6B. I looked at the hunter reg. forms on the Camp Navajo website and would like to hear if any one has hunted on, or used it to get into the North side of the unit.

Thanks,

i think you must be talking about the navajo depot. fort apache is a long ways away from 6b. you can get in the north side through railroad springs area through garland prarie. it should be on the coconino map. i here there is some good bulls on the depot. never been in there though. seen lots of elk down south of the depot. good luck!

little hang up there on my part! yes it is the Camp Navajo, not Fort Apache in the White Mt. Man I need to focus a bit more when asking for input. There are some good bulls/areas around the camp. We will be in 6B proper and not on the camp itself. Do you have to be active military to go "through" the camp?

thanks

I hunted Navajo last year as a civilian and had to get special clearance after attending a class just to be on base. If you are military they may let you use the roads to get access to the north side - but I doubt it... and the roads there are awful! I was there 9days and beat the crap out of my jeep on the boulders.

CLICK HERE --->>CAMP NAVAJO

hope that helps - best of luck!

PS I know a former employee who hunted there for 20+ and has since retired. He loves to hunt and may be willing to help [will cost you beer though]

Not too many access points into 6B.

Woody Mountain Road

Fry Canyon Road off 89A

ATV up Casner from Sedona

FR 5308 off Garland Prairie south of Parks

Volunteer canyon kinda seperates NAD from 6B

Thanks all,

I hear it about the roads, we started to poke around in a quad cab long box truck and ended up parked and on foot. We are just begining to feel the layout of the unit as it is a "new" one to us. As the G&F write up is pretty clear on basic info we will be working into the areas with less pressure: Woody Ridge silent area and Casner area

RR, thanks for the FS road numbers. We have come in from the North by White Horse Knoll, they used to have a nice campground there if a person needed a more civilized camping spot. I am most interested in the Casner area and will work up from Sedona,

thank you

FR 533 off 89A is the divide between 6B and 11M. It runs along the north side of Woody Ridge.

You can take an atv up the powerline road to Casner, but not a full-size vehicle. Doubt a UTV would fit through the gate either.

Do not know how "quiet" Woody Ridge is as the roads have not been blocked well lately.

For elk or deer? I was told that there were few elk on woody ridge this past archery season.

i was huntin bear last year on the back side of casner, and i noticed the gate was locked once you crossed that long ridge towards the powerlines. dont be surprised if it is still locked. good luck.

thanks all!

Bull elk late Nov. rifle.

good heads up on Woody Ridge, we had not made it to that side, too bad it is not real "quite"

access looks "funky" with area either open or closed.

Use to be a security officer at the depot. The roads are rough and I know we had a check in time and hunters were told what areas were open and which were closed as the depot is not a free zone. They had one way in and one way out. Once in the hunt area you had a good area to cover but as stated the roads are rough. They don't want it smooth as it is a training area for guard and reserves. Good luck on your hunt and there is some nice bucks in that area.

hello - NO ACCESS THRU CAMP NAVAJO !!! like jesse stated -they have strict rules -you check-in and out each day - they want to know where you'll be hunting - you sign out - to go hunting in the morning and you sign in each evening - so they don't have to go looking for you - if they do, they know which way you went - they even have -kinda -evening hr. limit- i guess they have made some changes and allow cell phone check in in the evenings -- you have an east side hunt and a west side hunt - for civilians - you are not allowed to hunt on the base itself- only guard or retired military have that priveledge and they have almost the same rules - roads can be rough but not impossible -!- Gary -