Sign in to follow this  
tjhunt2

elk rut

I just got back from a couple days of spending time in unit 22 scouting for my wt hunt and just wanted to share with you all that if you ever wanted to hear alot of bugles then now is the time to be in the woods. You don't have to have an elk tag to enjoy the forest this time of year. As I lay in my sleeping bag next to the fire Sunday night the elk continued to bugle way after I feel asleep around 9pm. I was woken to bugles and they continued all day long where I was at. I happened upon 4 bulls carrying on at noon and had the pleasure of watching them for a long time. I could have killed them less than 100yds. I backed out and ran in to the only hunter I saw in the area. I asked if he had had any luck but said he was hearing them but wasn't having any luck. I assured him I could get him in on the bulls I just left for an easy shot and that I would help him get it out with the help of my elk buggy I pull behind my quad and he wasn't interested. He was around 60 yrs old and I hope I didn't hurt his feelings when I asked him what he was going to do if he shot one so far from any road with no help. He said he would take it out a piece at a time. My bet it would have spoiled in this heat. He wasn't in the best of shape. Before leaving him I offered one last time my help and to even help him Monday and Tuesday if need be. I even offered him my knive since he told me he lost his and he said thanks but no thanks and I went on my way and as I came back by these elk 4 hours later they were still bugling like crazy. I think the hunter left the area after losing his knive.

Now is the time to take the family out to hear these bulls and take your camera and don't be like me and leave it and the video back in the truck. There are those who say there isn't much action going on but I assure you if you get off the beaten track you are in for the thrill of a life time. I've never heard so many bugles all day long. There is a rifle hunt going on but only a handful of hunters so be careful. Sorry no pictures but I have them stored in my head and you can to. Enjoy! :)

TJ

Glad to hear you enjoyed the scouting. I was driving though 22 north this morning and they were going crazy, bugling and pushing cows. The rain and cloud cover helped. What tag you got tjhunt2 October or were you real lucky and got December?

Glad to hear you enjoyed the scouting. I was driving though 22 north this morning and they were going crazy, bugling and pushing cows. The rain and cloud cover helped. What tag you got tjhunt2 October or were you real lucky and got December?

I didn't put in for the Dec hunt because of the odds. Oct wt. I'ld be living there if it wasn't for the money and I'm to close to retirement to leave my job. I do spend most of my time off up in the rim county. You guys that live there are lucky to have it and yes I'm jealous. :)

TJ

Sounds like they are hitting their peak.

TJ, you are a true gentleman to offer your help to a stranger! His loss by not taking you up on it!

Thanks Brent but I'm no where close to being a gentleman. :lol: I just can't get enough of being in the woods. My wife saids I have a sickness. :huh: :)

TJ

TJ, you are a true gentleman to offer your help to a stranger! His loss by not taking you up on it!

Thanks Brent but I'm no where close to being a gentleman. :lol: I just can't get enough of being in the woods. My wife saids I have a sickness. :huh: :)

TJ

I don't think there is a cure for our sickness, except to just spend more time in the woods! :lol:

TJ

I don't think there is a cure for our sickness, except to just spend more time in the woods! :lol:

Amen Brother!

TJ

Now Tom, I know perfectly well that you are a gentleman :) and Peg is right you do have a sickness, but it is the best kind of all. Many of us have that same "illness". Mark is stuck up in Canada right now, snowed in for 2 days, hoping to get out tomorrow. He said that he got a MONSTER!

Kathi

TJ

Now Tom, I know perfectly well that you are a gentleman :) and Peg is right you do have a sickness, but it is the best kind of all. Many of us have that same "illness". Mark is stuck up in Canada right now, snowed in for 2 days, hoping to get out tomorrow. He said that he got a MONSTER!

Kathi

Kathi, why didn't you tell me yearlier he was stuck in Canada snowed in. We could have been BBQing out every night and telling hunt stories around the fire. :lol: ;) Can't wait to hear his stories and see his pictures. Keep us posted. By the way, did you buy that ranger? I won't tell Mark if it's a secret. :)

TJ