Sign in to follow this  
game hntr

swarovski 15x56..need help with tripod

I have these binos for 1 year now.. and last year I didn't had a tripod for them because I though i don't need one :D.. o well I was wrong.. I do need a tripod for them.. I think a lot of you guys have these binos..May I please know which tripod should I get. Any LIGHT tripods out there?

Will you be sitting or standing while glassing? Budget?

Get a tripod with adjustable leg angles. Those K-mart cheapies with the support braces between the legs and center pole are terrible.

Do a search inthe optics forum here for tripods. Some good discussions.

Scoutm has a tripod for sale in the classifieds

http://forums.coueswhitetail.com/forums/in...showtopic=15354

Might consider the Velbon Sherpa that is in the CWT bookstore.

http://www.coueswhitetail.com/bookstore/tr...ripod_heads.htm

Other tripods to consider for sitting would be the Manfrotto 190 and Velbon LuxiL (I have this Luxi and like it for a lightweight sitting tripod)

For standing, you will need a heavier. stiffer, taller tripod so you do not need to raise the center column.

For a light head, I like the Manfrotto 700 RC2

The Jim White head and Outdoorsmans heads are real nice, but more $

I use a Velbon EFL 4 I bought from Jim White (7yrs ago). I think you can get it here on CW the Jim White head is really good with the 15's and just make sure you get a tripod hefty enough but not real real heavy to handle the weight of the 15's..............Allen...........

I have carried my Slik Compact in my back pack for years. It's lightweight (1lb), expands to 4x it closed size, and doesn't break the bank. Not good if you want to stand, but for setting, it's super! The advice to check with Jim White is good advice, he's the tripod guru! D.D.

For standing up I reccomend the Slik Carbon Fiber 713 Pro. ~$230.00 at B&H photo. The Jim White head is great but a little pricey. You could get the Bogen 700 RC or get the discontinued Bogen 3160 on ebay for under $50.00.

Good luck!

I have a Slik Sprint and a jim white set up and man that is a great tripod for not too much money and it is VERY light.