BowFly

Feeders in AZ

The issue was with the QUANTITY of deer, not the quality.

the AZGFD said AZ doesn't have the quantity of deer that most other states do. Not me.

Try to take your emotions out of your response and read what is written. No where in my quote does it say anything negative about the animals here. I WAS TOLD BY THE AZGFD that you don't have many animals here.

The issue was Quantity. I offered a solution for QUANTITY in the southern most regions, they (THE AZGFD) said there is no nutritional value in deer corn.

I would imagine that drought and predators are a bigger issue for the quantity of animals than is access to feed and minerals. but I may be wrong. if you're on private land, have at it, long as it's legal. you'll probably get lots of outa staters willing to come sit on a manged feeder and shoot a coues buck with a bow. I'd venture a guess that most residents take pride in not hunting like that though. even with salt licks and sitting water, most'll do it a fair ways off from the nearest two tracker, and after having put in much sweat equity and time in getting the site set up.

QUANTITY ok I will give you that a state like TX has the population of white tail unmatched by any other state but we are talking apples and oranges the state of Arizona does not have the same tip of deer specs that TX does.

As far as Coues deer Arizona has a very healthy population we have the biggest population of Coues deer in he country (AZ, NM, Mexico)

As far as mule deer look it up AZ has a lot of mules there allover the state

Those are the only two deer specs that AZ has to offer.

I also have been told that the ranches down in Mexico don’t even use feed for the Coues deer because they don’t like corn feed

So what you are proposing just will not work in Arizona

joeybari - really man... you should read what you quoted me on. Your post doesn't make any sense.

Some of the others - Gun hunters saying it's not natural? Give me a freaking break! I won't even listen to that crap from my compound shooting buddies much less rifle hunters. You hunt with me, with a recurve, no salt, no water, no feed, no guides, no atv, no range finder, no spotting scope, and then I will listen to your "naturalist" BS.

I am pretty sure you hunt with a gun too... Over salt, and water. You're the kind of hunter I don't like. You spend thousands on high power rifles, swarovski scopes, shooting sticks, a new ATV every few years, probably have never lived in the country, or ever even hunted out of this state. Probably never worn out a pair of boots either, maybe a few pair of pants sitting on a peak with your swarovski spotting scope waiting to shoot with your custom 300 winmag from Huskimaw. Hypocritcal BS..

But you think that's OK... that's totally natural, right?

I say, if it's hungry feed it, if its weak help strengthen it; we are all stewards, and we are all responsible. Do the right thing even when no one is looking.

I said it... you can quote it, but quote it right. OK there joeybari? I know it will tough for you to comprehend it, but read it a few times if you need to, we can wait.

SO your saying that deer don't adapt and they all use man made water holes and trick tanks ..... The reason for the need of any water catchments in az and most other places is do to MEN changing the surrounding areas... divirting water, tapping springs and last time I looked water fell from the sky and bubbled from the ground.... Don't try to sell the fact that it is needed... nothing is needed ...The animals will adapt and have way before the practice of feeders and man made water sources ... water sources that most were never put in place with the thought of wild game in mind but to support the herds of cattle free grazing the lands througout Arizona .... AS HUMANS WE WANT IT and WE WANT TO CONTROL IT... AND AS LONG AS IT IS LEGAL IT IS RIGHT .... well remember one thing most of the actions taken by mortgage companies and the banking industry that screwed everyone in this country were legal .... SO DOES THAT MAKE IT RIGHT ....

STR8Shot

Lets not get into the issues of lenders and banks that another debate of its own. :angry:

Please remember we are all sportsman no matter how you look at it. Our license and tag fees help pay for the management of game animals here in the great state of Arizona. I would venture to say that in years past we had more rain than in the past 10 years and water in most areas used to bubble from the ground, but it seems times have changed at least for now. I can say for a fact that in unit 11m while elk hunting on the east side of the unit if it weren’t for water catchments there wouldn’t have been any water at all. All the water tanks and springs were dry. To be honest with you I can’t believe you would say nothing is needed, again you are very wrong and no matter how hard you try you will not win that debate, I’ll leave it at that. Again if it’s legal have at it and have fun doing it. please answer this question Do you infact hunt water holes?????Thanks Steven

SO your saying that deer don't adapt and they all use man made water holes and trick tanks ..... The reason for the need of any water catchments in az and most other places is do to MEN changing the surrounding areas... divirting water, tapping springs and last time I looked water fell from the sky and bubbled from the ground.... Don't try to sell the fact that it is needed... nothing is needed ...The animals will adapt and have way before the practice of feeders and man made water sources ... water sources that most were never put in place with the thought of wild game in mind but to support the herds of cattle free grazing the lands througout Arizona .... AS HUMANS WE WANT IT and WE WANT TO CONTROL IT... AND AS LONG AS IT IS LEGAL IT IS RIGHT .... well remember one thing most of the actions taken by mortgage companies and the banking industry that screwed everyone in this country were legal .... SO DOES THAT MAKE IT RIGHT ....

STR8Shot

Lets not get into the issues of lenders and banks that another debate of its own. :angry:

Please remember we are all sportsman no matter how you look at it. Our license and tag fees help pay for the management of game animals here in the great state of Arizona. I would venture to say that in years past we had more rain than in the past 10 years and water in most areas used to bubble from the ground, but it seems times have changed at least for now. I can say for a fact that in unit 11m while elk hunting on the east side of the unit if it weren’t for water catchments there wouldn’t have been any water at all. All the water tanks and springs were dry. To be honest with you I can’t believe you would say nothing is needed, again you are very wrong and no matter how hard you try you will not win that debate, I’ll leave it at that. Again if it’s legal have at it and have fun doing it. please answer this question Do you infact hunt water holes?????Thanks Steven

In the unit I was scouting today only there are only 2 water holes, and guess what they are both bone dry! The only water around is a man made troph! Just my .02

I like Chevy's , for the record. :D Feeders huh..... Not gettin in this one, is the same as the water and salt one obvioussly.

Yeah, ditto - not a Chevy man- Ford rules, but once again, just something to start bashing eachother on.

The animals belong to the stewards of the state. G&F dose not own them neither do the private land owners. Feeders are legal in the state of Arizona, the only animals you cannot bait in Arizona are migratory game birds and bears. If you are a hunter that thinks feeders and food plots are cheating then you better not hunt water holes or trick tanks because they are not natural. You all keep saying that mother nature provides all the animals need, well my friend your wrong. Without man made water holes and water catchments. Every animal in the state of Arizona would suffer. All I can say is if it is legal then let it be at that, don’t judge one another because of their hunting style. I don’t like fords or dodges but I don’t bash you because you drive one.

Steven Ward

+1

We are right back to the salt fight.... If a mountain lion had our resources and abilities do you really think he would not use them? I have friends that have killed hogs with sharp sticks and with knives.... as well as with bows and guns.... coincidentally... all said hogs died and were eaten. ;) Man kind (aka HUNTERS) have done much to help the wildlife in this country... most of which was agains Mother Nature's bidding.... Changing environments, human encroachment, drought, etc.... have driven some sepcies to the brink of extinction.... only man kind has kept them from being a part of history.... that is what make us great! We don't want things to be gone for forever, but we can also use the renewable resource that we have. This issue is kinda like people who think butchering a beef is some how worse than buying it at the store.... Dead is Dead.... carrying capacity is carrying capacity.... renewable is renewable.... and we are at the root of most of it. Do what you do... and I won't care.... just let me do what I do. I am tired of hearing why one way of hunting is better than another.... face it...... if EVERY guy in the woods hunted just like you, or just like me.... I'd most certainly be finding a new way to hunt, and so would you!! :blink: Enjoy your hunting!! They are coming for it... by way of divid and conquer.... so enjoy it while you can.

SUPPORT THE MASSES OF HUNTERS THEY ARE YOUR ONLY ALLY!!!!! SHUN YOUR ALLIES AND YOUR ENEMIES WILL CULL YOU OUT!!!

I'd be better at this if I had more than a 12th grade education.... <_<

Very well said Coues and sheep! Does the do nothing animals will adapt argument make any one Else's skin crawl? The game n fish took that approach in the kofas and now we have a few lions, no sheep, no deer, and nothing to hunt. But at least they let nature run its course.

By the way bowfly If you have ranchland that you need help planting or HUNTING give me a call. There are two things that you will soon find out or might already know about Arizona. One, that you already encountered, is our game n fish. They have a lot of good people but they also seem to have been infiltrated by a whole bunch of left wing wackos. The second is that Arizona in general doesnt seem to respect private property rights. I guess, to be fair to the game n fish there seem to be a lot of liberal naturalists even on this hunting site so maybe they are an even representation of who they represent.

Hey thanks for the offer JakeDunn. I appreciate it. I might take you up on it (I am from the south, where we believe if you help plant, You can definately help hunt).

I took a little time to read some of the other postings on here, and I see that feeders and food plots and salt are all ongoing issues. I think I found the answers I was looking for, and confirmation of some thoughts and ponderings.

We are simply a state divided, private land is really public, and you can do what you want as long as you don't ask. OK... well... yea... not much else to say there.

You guys have a good one, and good luck with working out the details of what's natural and ethical, and whos freedom is really free, and let the rest of us know how much freedom we can have, and when and all that.

With that... I drive a Dodge 2500 Cummins, and pulled a broken down escalade out of traffic today. : )