Sign in to follow this  
luvdemcoues

How old should my boy be?

Hey all, I took your advice and brought my little man along on a bird hunt this morning. He didn't walk very fast and it was hard to get into the birds, but we had a blast! We also got to see 2 javelina real close. Those were his first ones. He thinks he is pretty neat stuff right now since he got to go hunting with his dad. We will try it again soon!

Now you're talking! ;)

TJ

Wow this is an awesome topic. I've got a boy due in march and can't wait!! This is a question that I've been wondering about too. Thanks everyone for your replies.

get him out there! let them enjoy the time with his dad!. take him out quail or rabbit hunting he will love it. get him a cricket 22 to shoot and let him try to shoot a rabbit. that time with him is priceless ;)

Hard to get clearer or better advice. Take your son and go hunting.

Yep...I put in for a rifle cow elk tag 3 years ago so I could take my 4 year old son with me...He sat in the ground blind on archery deer hunts with me the last two seasons (with his Leapster video game thing). Only lasted about an hour each time, but that's ok. I still remember when he saw his first wild turkeys...and this year I was told to put in for turkey. He is going on his first rifle coues hunt this year at 7 since I figured he would be able to navigate the hills a little better....my daughter is fish catching machine at 4...I don't know if she is going to take to hunting as much, but I'll try....

I go against the tide of majority opinion on this one.

Taking them camping and scouting to get them exposed is great, but I wouldn't be in a hurry to get real weapons in their hands. I had my son backpacking a few times when he was four. Skunks coming into camp and othe wildlife sightings were enough adventure for him at the time.

I suggest starting a kid fishing as soon as he's able to reel one in. Fishing and target shooting should come before hunting. Introduce a BB or pellet gun when he's 8 or 9, explain and model the safety rules and see how his judgment and self-discipline develops. Kids make occasional safety mistakes and learn from those mistakes. I know I did. (I.e., shooting at a soft target that had a hard perpendicular surface behind it once gave me a sore lip and a wiser mind. Shooting at a squirrel in a tree and then realizing there's a house back there somewhere gave me something to worry about for a few seconds. Sore fingers from leaving the lever in the down position on my BB gun made me aware of what my gun was doing.) Better to make your mistakes with a BB or a pellet than a lead bullet.

After he's acquired some proficiency and judgment, go to small game like cottontails with the pellet gun. There he gets to deal with death, including popping the heads off wounded animals and gutting and skinning. Gradually transition to the .22.

Somewhere between 11 and 13 he can probably handle a shotgun and can shoot clay birds and game birds with bird shot. Quail and dove hunts are well-suited to that age. Shotguns are dangerous weapons, so I wouldn't rush things by getting a 20 gauge when he's 9 or 10. A 20 gauge makes it physically easier to shoot a shotgun, but it doesn't speed up mental development.

I believe 14 or 15 is the appropriate age to start big game hunting. Most people won't agree with me, but that's my opinion based on experience and observations of youngsters. Young minds are often somewhere else, usually 2 or 3 jumps ahead of where you are. And yes, an 8-year-old can shoot a deer or elk, but I don't believe they experience the activity the same way they will later on An 8-year-old's world - and his mind - is nothing like ours. Youngsters were imbued with great imaginations for a reason. It's because they aren't yet ready to actually do everything adults do.

I go against the tide of majority opinion on this one.

Taking them camping and scouting to get them exposed is great, but I wouldn't be in a hurry to get real weapons in their hands. I had my son backpacking a few times when he was four. Skunks coming into camp and othe wildlife sightings were enough adventure for him at the time.

I suggest starting a kid fishing as soon as he's able to reel one in. Fishing and target shooting should come before hunting. Introduce a BB or pellet gun when he's 8 or 9, explain and model the safety rules and see how his judgment and self-discipline develops. Kids make occasional safety mistakes and learn from those mistakes. I know I did. (I.e., shooting at a soft target that had a hard perpendicular surface behind it once gave me a sore lip and a wiser mind. Shooting at a squirrel in a tree and then realizing there's a house back there somewhere gave me something to worry about for a few seconds. Sore fingers from leaving the lever in the down position on my BB gun made me aware of what my gun was doing.) Better to make your mistakes with a BB or a pellet than a lead bullet.

After he's acquired some proficiency and judgment, go to small game like cottontails with the pellet gun. There he gets to deal with death, including popping the heads off wounded animals and gutting and skinning. Gradually transition to the .22.

Somewhere between 11 and 13 he can probably handle a shotgun and can shoot clay birds and game birds with bird shot. Quail and dove hunts are well-suited to that age. Shotguns are dangerous weapons, so I wouldn't rush things by getting a 20 gauge when he's 9 or 10. A 20 gauge makes it physically easier to shoot a shotgun, but it doesn't speed up mental development.

I believe 14 or 15 is the appropriate age to start big game hunting. Most people won't agree with me, but that's my opinion based on experience and observations of youngsters. Young minds are often somewhere else, usually 2 or 3 jumps ahead of where you are. And yes, an 8-year-old can shoot a deer or elk, but I don't believe they experience the activity the same way they will later on An 8-year-old's world - and his mind - is nothing like ours. Youngsters were imbued with great imaginations for a reason. It's because they aren't yet ready to actually do everything adults do.

i dont think they are talking about having the youngin kill something. but taking the child with him for the experience and time together. imo

take him now. ;)

Circumstances allowed for none other than having to take my 2 year old with my wife and her on her elk hunt a few weeks back. He had a great time and actually watched my wife pull the trigger on a cow. Although he is young, it is great to get him in the hills and to be exposed to the hunt.

If we talk about introducing weapons and such, IMO its got to be done later. A couple posts before mentioned some really good info. on introducing weapons to yungins, which had some great information. Although I disagree to the exact ages to a degree, it is better to error with caution rather than have a disaster happen. Using good judgement, parents and adults must be able to draw the line and know when it is appropriate. Kids will have a blast just carrying a BB gun or a .22 in the hills for a long time. Heck, my 8 year old nephew just blasted a coati on Saturday with a .22. What a great experience for him!

Good thread with a good topic.