coues7

******We have gotta help these guys out...

Many of you know, work with and are friends with an AZGFD game ranger. I know a few, who I call good friends. I would like to brainstorm some ideas as to how we can help these guys get some increases in pay. The govenor thinks it's ok to rob the Heritage fund to do who know what and yet year after year these guys can't afford a house to even live in or the things their families need.

All game wardens have bachelors degrees AND fully certified law enforcement training just like DPS and sherriff office agencies. Many of the game wardens I know can't even afford a home to live in and it's not because they miss use their salary....heck they don't even have one that's worth speaking of. Most make less than teachers. There has got to be something we can do. There has to be some tax somewhere getting pissed into the wind that can be diverted to make these fine men and women's lives better.

Please post your ideas up or let us know people we can contact to get some changes made.

Isn't the out of state tags going up next year. If they are why not turn around and pay these rangers what they need.

A lot of it could be supply and demand. When they have several hundred or a thousand and more applicants for one or two openings, there are no shortages of workers to fill positions.

Guest Ernesto C

I think that's true in everything Diamonbackaz except in the medical field.

Good point Ernesto!

Not only do they not get paid well but they have one of the most dangerous jobs.

They are cops and they have to deal with gun carrying rif-raff in remote areas - alone!

I know, I know, they chose their job (actually worked their butts off to get it), and knew what they were getting into.

I agree with Ernesto. They should get paid better.

I think the way we can help is to support the fee increases that are gonna hit us hard next year. We can explain to the cry baby whiners that we have been getting a smoking deal for decades. We've been buying deer tags for around $20.00 and less for how long??!!

Another thing we can do is to diffuse the anti Game Dept. attitudes when they pop up. This Game Dept is the best in the West. Arizona was way ahead of other states with the permit draw system - and took a lot of heat for it from our residents. Now the rest of the Western states are doing the same. New Mexico has finally put most of the sate to a draw - should have done it a long time ago!

Times have changed. This game dept has extreme challanges that we've never seen before: greedy outfitters, greedy ranchers, anti hunters, multi use pressures on the land, too many people in the state, diminishing habitat, etc, etc.

The Game Rangers, the Game Dept, and the multi-thousands of sportmen and women have got to stick together tighter than ever, or the rich hunting heritage that we have all enjoyed will forever change for the worse.

Thanks for bringing this up, Ernesto.

Mike

Guest Ernesto C

Dont thank me Mike,thank fellow member coues 7.

And specially now times that not only they have to be on the alert for their job but also for terrorist trying to cross the border etc etc. How can a person making $30.000 a year can afford to buy a $200.000 home or expensier? I'm still praising the Lord because in my mind I still do not understand how I was able to buy my house,I know He's great but..........................since yesterday I'm rying to think on sometime,some suggestion(s) or sometime to help out,cause I also have good biologist friends that work for the AzG&F......some times I volunteer my time to help them out.

I did some research on the state salaries. Wildlife managers make $32,000 to $56,000. A DPS patrol officer makes $37,000 to $51,000. A public school teacher goes from about $32,000 to $60,000. Also don't forget that they get vacation time, excellent pension plan, sick time, and the ability to earn comp time and over time. I feel that their salary is in line with other agencies.

I don't have to deal with a class full of kids that nowadays probably don't listen, nor do I have to worry about getting shot on a daily basis( even though it could happen), and I would bet that for the most part all of us are in that earning bracket or higher. I just think that the jobs mentioned are thankless and the only time they are usually recognized is when they do something wrong.

I will chime in with a comment about pay is only "relative" to the comparative.

Soapbox brought out!

Yes, The GFD ofFicers and DPS, and Teachers might make less than Lawyers, or Dr.s or engineers, but for someone who does not want to (or have credentials) to be a Lawyah, or Dr., 32k - 56k could seem pretty good.

I have a sister who is pursuing her degree to get a teaching certificateob. Mid 30's and she decided to go for it. She never held a really good paying position, mostly retail, Childrens daycare, Airline call center, etc... She wanted to teach for a long time but heard everyone complain about the low pay for teachers. well she did some research and found they started over 30k. She said they did not know what low pay was! She said that the teachers complaining about the low pay were full of crap. All the free or VERY LOW cost benefits, for State employees, on top of the salary make it easliy another 1.5k per month and that doesn't even include the pension retirement benefits. Add that to the reward she will FEEL for educating the next generation, she said it was a easy choice.

She has spent the last 4 years or so getting her degree and is finishing it now. I give her credit and respect for pulling it off and calling the "low pay" crybabies" nuts.

As for the AZGFD, and Police officers, I agree it would be nice to have them better paid. Lets hold up the crooked trial Lawyahs and give it to the PD BP and GFD officers. :ph34r: I did say CROOKED... :rolleyes: Seriously, they deserve more!

For that matter I could use more money too! Better Pay so I can have a 200k house and 3 cars with a boat and RV for weekends. Thansk for indulging. My Soapbox has been put away.

Don't forget about job security us state employees have. I will retire in 12 years with full benefits at age 53, and work part time after that, I too am a school teacher.

Thanks for the confirmation of what my post stated.

While we are puttingout that wish list of people to get more money, let's add firefighters and Hot shot crews on forest fires.

Diamondback AZ....sorry but your information is not correct. The top end of the salary range for a Wildlife Manager II is 49K. The top end of a Wildlife Manager III (First line W.M. II supervisor) is 56K. Secondly, and more importantly, as the system is now, no-one ever tops out the pay range. As a result, you have a majority of your W.M. II's making mid to high 30's. We are talking about guys up to and including 20 year career field officers.

As you can see, misquoting information in a forum like this does an injustice to the Game Rangers. I'm sure it wasn't intentional, just incorrect. Anyhow, there may be a push sometime in the future to get these guys and gals a WELL-DESERVED pay increase. This will be a great opportunity for supporters of the Department and the Game Rangers to help them out. This forum is a means to that end and you guys can help them with your efforts.

All of the perks like take home vehicles, Public Safety Retirement, working with wildlife etc, etc, are very nice to these folks, but they don't pay the bills. These folks aren't one dimensional (money lovers) or they wouldn't be in this field.....especially 15 or 20 years. These folks are dedicated and have very important jobs.....let's help 'em out,.......I will. How about you?

C-1

Seems like most jobs now-a-days that require a degree pay in the mid 40ks to mid 50ks. If my degree after 20 years of work only paid me in the upper 30ks, then there would be something seriously wrong with my employer. I don't know about you all, but I am a firm believer that you get what you pay for. When it comes to something so near and dear to my hart like hunting, I want only the best people in charge of it. So I personally am willing to pay a little more for my passion.

I have heard that game and fish is having a hard time finding qualified people to be game and fish officers due to the pay issues. That scares me!!! We need to pay these guys more so we have the best people protecting our hunting and fishing privileges.

Cousi1, I am getting my information off of the state web sites which show job titles with pay ranges. I am only quoting what I got off of the state web sites as I stated in my post. Also, please remember that these people chose to go into this profession knowing what the salaries and benefits are. They also have a choice to quit and do something else that could satisfy their financial needs. And yes, things like job security, retirement, sick time, comp time are real nice. And with comp time, which I understand is not avaiable to the private sector, a person can make the most important part of a job, TIME OFF. Couesdog, the game and fish is not an easy department to get into. They usually have several hundred applicants for one or two positions. I stand by my earlier posts//