Sign in to follow this  
COUESAZ

Verizon data package

OK this is related to coues deer by letting me veiw the site while away from home. HAHA

I am wanting to set my wifes lg envy up with the internet through verizon. Who has there verizon phones set up this way. What do you like and dislike about it. I have heard that you can also use your phone for a modem for your laptops. just looking for recomendations. I have my old palm treo that i may set up as well.

i have verizon and i have a blackberry so that changes things a bit. When you buy a blackberry with verizon they require you to have the data plan which gives me internet (extra $30/month). So i have the net on my phone. I like it, i get all my emails for work, etc. I have been on this site on my phone but not very often, I have never tried getting on the forums on my phone. Hope that info helps. I do use a cool internet radio application that lets me listen to all kinds of music from an internet radio site on my phone.

is it friday yet?? :blink:

Jade- Ive never used my phone as a modem, but think it should work just fine. I also have a blackberry and can access the forums even post replies etc.. little extra time but it works. I get all my business mail on the phone and that makes it nice, the only thing is that it is harder to reply so I don't remember to reply to all the stuff I need to unless it is very important.

the phone does work fine as a modem, however, doing so is not included in your monthly data/internet fee, they charge you seperately for that, so be careful.

I have Verizon and a blackberry and I'm very happy with it. I've been able to get reception when others have not and I've been on the forum with it as well. My aging eyes have a little trouble reading the screen but it's doable. I've even reset my fantasy football line-up at 4:30am while I was out scouting. I've never used it as a modem.

Our favorite spot to camp as a family on the rim has great reception. My wife likes to do her photo work on the computer while we are up there. it would be nice for her to be able to hook the phone to the laptop and be able to send photos to people and be able to down load them to her blog and site. I looked at the verizon hot spot, but think the phone as a modem would be best because she could use the phone for work all the time and have the web at hand with out having to be close to the hot spot.

I had to use my envy as a modem for my laptop when I went up to visit my father-n-law in New York over the summer. I went into the verizon store and what they do is charge you a $50 a month fee to use your phone as the modem. You have to buy a cord that connects your phone to your laptop and also download a program from verizon to your laptop. It worked great. Anywhere your cell phone has reception you can use it as a modem to get on your laptop. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

So 50 a month was that on top of the 30 a month. or was it a total of 50 a month for the web on your phone and the right to use it as a modem.

I didn't have internet on my phone, the $50 was basically for using my phone as a modem. I don't know what it would cost for both.

I Have a Blackberry through Verizon that i use both ways, as a standalone internet access point for email and basic browsing and also I "tether" it to my laptop and use it as a modem. Like has been stated, with a Blackberry you must have a data package i beleive there are 2 options one is around $30 and it has a 1 or 2 gigabyte data limit and then you have the unlimited and i think it is around $45. Be careful on the unlimited as it does in fact have a 5 gigabyte data limit a month (and that is truly ALOT). The tethering fee is an additional $15. Keep in mind these prices may have changed since i set mine up so be sure and contact your Verizon rep for details