5yearcoueshunter

Father and son muzzleloader success

It doesn't get any better than that right there. Thanks for sharing your story and pictures with us and a big congratulations to your Dad on his first ever coues. Sounds like you had to really work to get your's out. I hope you and Dad have many many more hunts together. :)

TJ

I think your set-up sounds great Travis. I'm just reluctant to change. Not that I'm a great hunter, I could use every advantage around. I guess I'm just stuck in my ways. Heck, I don't even have a cell phone. I never realized that 175 grain sabbot would only drop about 3 inches at 200 yards. One of these days, I would love to go on a primitive elk hunt. I just need to work less........especially in the fall.

Sam

Thanks everyone for your replys!

Sam, I'm shooting a 50 caliber rifle with a 175 grain 40 caliber Red Hot Sabbot at about 2400 fps with 150 grains of powder. I'm only 1 inch high at 50 which puts me about 2 inches low at 200. Shooting an Omega with 2.5 X 8 power scope. So, not very primitive! ha-ha Hunting has never come that easy to me so I try to be equipped as best I can. I have total respect for guys who can get it done with primitive muzzleloaders and bows of any kind. I did shoot my first buck with an old hammer Thomspon with peep sites. That was fun and I have been thinking about doing that again sometime on one of the primitive hunts they have here in NM.

Thanks again,

Travis