Sign in to follow this  
CouseforLife

Tripods and heads

I am thinking of a new tripod for myself as a christmas present. I have been using my Monfrotto with pistol grip head for the last 10 years. It is about wore out but I have to say I got my $200 worth out of it easy.

It is heavy but worked great. I am looking for something a little lighter and want a fluid head rather than pistol grip.

I use it at the range for my cheapy spotter and glassing.

What is everyone else using now.

It all depends on what you want to spend. I bought a velbon and head from Amanda few years ago then I upgraded to Jim White head. It still works great, but I went and upgraded to a large bogen and head for glassing standing up close to the truck and an outdoorsman set up for backpack hunts because it is light. They range from $200.00 to $1000.00 and everything between. Amanda has some good things for sale on this site, start looking there is my opinion.

For light, I am using the Velbon LuxiL with Manfrotto 700RC2 head.

For use with the Claw, I have the Velbon Chaser (now Sherpa) with Manfrotto 701HDV.

Neither is tall enough to stand behind.

The Manfrotto 190CX would be a nice sitting carbon fiber tripod. For standing, the 055CX may work.

Thanks for the info so far. I hate to stand and glass. For some reason I just hate it and feel I see more if I sit. I always pack one of three legged stools with me on the bottom of my pack to sit down on. In fact I found one a cableas that only weighs about 20 ounces.

So height is not important. I think for now I will buy a new head and do the tripod later. The pistol grip is wore out and if i put 15's on it and with any downangle the head starts to slowly creep down.

I was looking to spend around 250 to 350 total.

The SLIK Sprint Pro that Amanda has looks like a nice tripod to fit in my pack. Anyone use one and how did they like it.

Again height is not important but I want it compact enough and lite enough it will fit in a backpack and not feel like I am packing out a deer when I carry it.

Thanks for all your advice. I do know the most important part is the head but the bottom does need to be stable.

CouseforLife,

Just thought I would throw in my two pennies. the slik tripods are great, they are pretty dang tough. and the sprint is a good light weight option but stout enough to keep ya from most the wind vibrations. Have used the Bogen pan head allot and I still do when it doesn't involve packing it very far because it is dang heavy and 055 bogen tripod isnt the feather weight model either buy it is nice for standing and for shooting off of. I know you said you don't stand and glass and I would prefer the same as you to use a stool but some times I need to get up over some brush or sitting just doesn't work so its nice. For packing in my pack I got a Outdoorsmans pan head, let me just tell ya it will blow your mind! I have use a Jim White also and it is of equal caliber. I think it was FirstCoueswas80 that said in another thread recently that it is gods gift to glassing or something like that, he is right. but you will pay for it a little in the beginning.

Another side thought on the tripods is to look at the Dynatrans that Amvona carries, you can find them on ebay and they have a web-store front too I believe. Im not going to say they are as good or any better than a bogen or slik or velbon, but they are pretty dang good for the price you can get them for. I also have one of their models that weighs about 2 pounds and goes up to about 55 inches. It is so beat that I cant really read the model number on it though. but it makes a great spare. Hope you can find a good set up. it makes glassing so much more enjoyable when all you have to worry about is glassing and not how much you wish you had a different set up.

Good luck

-sam

The Slik Sprint Pro is light, but I found its legs too flexible and sold it. For the same weight near 2 lbs and stiffer legs, I went with the Velbon Ultra LuxiL. I do prefer cam-levers as opposed to twists for leg height adjustments though.

A little heavier at 3.5 lbs might be the Manfrotto 190XDB, Slik Pro DX 340X, Velbon Sherpa

B&H would be a good place to compare models online

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Tripod-L...36/N/4291756656

Amanda, Doug at CameraLand, or Jim White should be able to fix you up and good to purchase from.

RR

I have been using a Manfrotto 718b with my Steiner 12x50 Predators and it works great but the Steiners are only 29 oz. I have used the 718b with the Swaro 15's and they move too much for my liking. I just ordered the SLIK PRO 330-EZ which is suppossed to support up to 8 lbs. If the legs are stiff enough I will be ordering a Jim White head for them soon.

--Bill

I have been using a Bogen 190XB tripod with the 128RC head and I love it. It's not that light, but it works great and the whole outfit was just over $200.00. I also use a small stool when glassing and have to agree with you that's the way to go. My rig isn't very good for standing, but in a pinch it works for quick glassing sessions.

I plan on calling Doug at camaraland when I have narrowed my choices down. I currently have a Monfrotto Tripod with the pistol grip head. I bought it about 10 years ago. I can't read the model number on the pod but his has thumb screw legs. It is rock solid but heavy. It is the shorter one and I cannot stand with it but I am 6'3. You will never miss me in the woods, walking telephone pole with arms. But anyway, Thanks for the tips and I think I will do some more shopping and try some of these out.

I was thinking of just getting the head for now and the tripod later. I have a 6A late Couse and time is running out I have been scouting a little and found a few pretty nice deer if they are still there in another month.

I never shoot of my tripod. I have always felt more comfy shooting off my butt or laying down. If I have to shoot standing I have always found a tree to lean against or something. Maybe thats why I always fell down as a kid :blink:

I bought the monfrotto 190XDB as Red Rabbit suggested. I can't wait until it gets here to check it out.

I will use my current tripod for this upcoming hunt and in the spring get a new one.

Sorry I meant to say that I got the Manfrotto 700RC2 head and have been using over the past week on my Couse hunt. I really like it and it is much better and less tiring to use than my old grip action.

I will upgrade my tripod with my tax returns I suppose.

Thanks again for the advice