Sign in to follow this  
reganranch

300 rum ammo for Coues?

Hey everybody me and my dad were very blessed this year to draw the late Dec. 11th hunt rifle for 30a and, I am having a hard time choosing what ammo to dial my 300 ultra mag in at 200 yards with. I was looking at the 150 grain accubond or higher grain partition by nosler and also the remington power ammo. Im open to suggestions too any thoughts?

81 gr. imr is equivilant to 97 retumbo which is a hot load.nosler with the imr is your best bet at 500 yds. its only 200 fps difference with 180 tip as comapared to the 130 gr. nosler ballistic tip so GO heavy, 200 fps is chump change..

Awesome what kind of groups do you shoot at 200 yards with that load?

Reganranch

I used some loads that I work up with my dad (the first hand loads shot from my 300rum) I used 165 gr. sierra partitioned boat tails with 81 gr. of IMR 4350.... the bullets shot very well at the range, and dropped my deer in the tracks at 254 yards ... With that being said the bullet hit 2 inches back from my mark (probably me) and deflected off a rib and went through the back rump.... Bullet did not pass through and was recovered when skinning and maintained almost all bullet weight and opened nicely ... (not to bad for first loads but plan on working up a few more )

Before then my bullet of choice has always been the Remington swift scirrocos 180. gr bullets ... the load is hard to beat and out of my gun they flew very well .... the breakdown for the trajectory has you a 2.24 inches high at a 100 yards for a 265 yard Zero and a point blank range of 314 yards... The Point blank range means that from 80 - 314 yards that a centered Kill Shot through your scope will be in the Kill Zone only adjustments of course would be for wind or large angles up or down ..... I have tried many Factory Loads from the top federals to the basic and these bullets fired best overall from MY Remington 700 BDL .... They do come in 150 gr as well but I prefer the 180

I do like the scirroco 180 gr. bullets but factory loads for my RUM were getting just to pricey and the next load I will be working will be with the scirroco bullets

The thing is you have to see what your gun likes ... Mine fortunately enough has not found a load it did not like

Hope it helps as well the rest of the info these guys here have .... They are a wealth of knowledge and many use 300RUM's

Best of Luck come Dec.

Chris

Thanks Str8shot, i will definelty put in a rush order to Cabelas for those 180 gr sciroccos seems theres two different loads for those power lvl 2 and 3 what would you suggest? In 30a where we hunted the early november hunt last year all the shots were 300 yards plus and across canyons. I dont know what really to expect in the Dec hunt besides cooler temps then last year.

The power Level 3!!! it will give you the best and flattest long range trajectory while maintaining energy at the longer ranges .... and I don't believe there is much difference in price last time a checked

>>>> But if you find yourself reloading them in the Future coueswt... look at the IMR powder especially on Bullets under 200 gr.

I shoot a 165 gr. swift scirroco, 98.2gr of reloader 25, 3550 fps everytime. I have also recovered several bullets from deer and elk I've killed. the bullet has been a perfect mushroom and 98% weight retention. I love them. All that being said, this is the load that my gun seems to like the most.

I shoot a 165 gr. swift scirroco, 98.2gr of reloader 25, 3550 fps everytime. I have also recovered several bullets from deer and elk I've killed. the bullet has been a perfect mushroom and 98% weight retention. I love them. All that being said, this is the load that my gun seems to like the most.

Loco Have you worked up any other loads With the 165 gr Scirrocco's using IMR at all?

180gr accubond. this year, so far mine has a 722yd kill and a 173 yd kill on WT. Ive seen quite a few go down from this pill. No cape damage and devestating stuff inside. I think for boxed ammo you have to order Nosler Custom ammo to get this anymore. I thought federal loaded it but i couldnt find any for my buddys dad, he bought the nosler.

Accubonds are generally accurate and effective bullets for most rifles. I'd choose the full-powered flavor that shoots the best in your rifle.

Sciroccos can sometimes be fickle,, but this is probably reputation from the first generation. The Scirocco IIs shot well in in my guns and have a usefully higher BC than the Accubonds to give a flatter trajectory and less wind drift. But this is moot for short and mid range shooting.

Good luck on your hunt and do some longinsh field shooting after you have zeroed on the bench.

The truth is that any of the bullets mentioned fired from a 300 RUM will be fine for coues deer at normal ranges. I would try several different brands and loads and figure out which one is the most accurate out of your rifle and go with it.

Awesome Thanks everybody for the wisdom. Im going to order a couple boxes of nosler and those power level 3 sciroccos and see what the rifle shoots most consistent with. Good luck to all of you on your upcoming hunts.