Sign in to follow this  
SO I HUNT

whats your take on calling?

I have been calling for years and bought a foxpro not long ago and was wondering what your take is which call to start with? I usually call for about 30 minutes a set. all my calling has been with mouth calls. Model of call is the FX3 foxpro.

Hi,

I don't have a foxpro yet, but I do have a cheaper electronic call. I have tried a lot of sounds and have had the best luck with a rabbit distress. I call for 15-45 min depending on the stand. Let us know how you like the call! I am saving my pennies to buy one soon.

I am not sure what you are asking, but here is what I do. (at least for now) I too have called for quite awhile. I always told friends who use e-callers lazy. Last year I broke down and bought a fox pro. (it sure is nice on the long bobcat stands to let it do the work)

I start every stand with a hyper tweety mouth call for about 7 minutes. Lots of skill, lots of finese....... (sure) I then switch on the fox pro. I call about 1/2 the critters with the mouth call and 1/2 with the foxpro.

I use non tradition sounds. Chickens, rodent distress, lip squeeks etc.

At the end of the day I truelly believe that if a hungry coyote/ fox is within hearing distance, and he has not made you, or smelled you he will come in to anything that sounds like food......

My .02 cents.

Whitey

I use the fox pro.. usually i stay on a sand for like 20 min AND i usually shot foxes.. they come first.. (first come first serve) I saw that if you stay longer and let the foxes go.. the next in line are coyotes and bobcats. I like to call them with jack rabbit dist. lighting jack.. woodpecker and lucky bird ( i had success with lucky bird for bobcats. I think I will give another try this coming week and see how i do ;) good luck with your new fox pro..

Oh Man so many options! I love my foxpro. Got the FX3. Everything about your stand will depend on what you are trying to call. You might scoot on over to the predator masters forums or the foxpro forums and see what those guys are talking about. You are going to set up completely different whether you are trying to call coyotes, bobcats, or fox. They all act different and have different things that get them coming in hard. Play around and hopefully by March, you will have knocked out a few fawn killers!

I've used mouth calls, built electronic calls and the wife bought me a foxpro scorpion last christmas. All are equally effective. The only time I spend longer than 15 minutes on a stand is if I think a cat might come. I start out with a soft bird sound. This really gets the birds fired up. Jackrabbit is great for most things but if I'm targeting foxes the fox distress is killer.

I love the electronic calls. Not only does it get the sound away from me they allow me to minimize movement.