Sign in to follow this  
GonePointing

Turkeys and Elk

I am currently on a hunt in Unit 23 for an Elk. I was sitting in a tree stand last night for about 4 hours. During this time I had about 15 turkeys coming in within 25 yards and as far out as 150 yards. However, they were around for at least 3 of the 4 hours. My question to the forum is does turkeys hanging around when on an elk hunt hurt you, help you or have no impact either way? I do not have much experience with turkeys since I don't really hunt them. I mean I have shot a turkey with a bow during the archery deer hunt but I have not hunted them by themselves. Not that I would not do so it is just I have not been drawn for turkey yet. Maybe this one coming out soon will change that. Crossing fingers! Anyway, I was curious as to whether you thought it was good to have them hang around or is this bad. My thought was if they are around then elk might think the area is clear and safe. However, with the turkeys there I also wonder if elk will not come in because of them. What do you think?

Yep, they'll still come in. I have game cam pics this year with deer and turkey together within feet of each other just hanging out and feeding. Another with Turkey walking right up on some elk feeding, pretty neat to see them all together.

Quit worring Todd! :lol: :lol: From what I'm hearing it is tough all around... hang in there man! I'm gunna try to swing buy your camp this weekend if you have not killed out yet. Good Hunting! ;)

I know, I know! It just sucks watching turkey after turkey and I can't shoot them. I finally saw elk again last night. I saw a heard that had two bulls that I could see. One was a 5X5 and the other a 6X6. Never came in close enough to take a shot. Maybe tonight.