Sign in to follow this  
firstcoueswas80

Guess the Foxpro works!

Huntinfool and I went out today to test out the new Scorpion.

Well, apparently, it works well for him as we called in two dogs, and he killed them both!

100_2834.jpg

First stand. Get there nice and early. Hurry up and wait early. Walk about 400 yards in from the road. Wind is perfect, sun will be coming up behind us (we are back to the truck before it crests the Santa Ritas behind us). Just about 6 minutes on the dot, the first dog comes darting in! I raise up my AR, and yip 3 or 4 times trying to stop her. She never stops and I dont have a clear shot. She makes a perfect "U", and runs straight away from Jake, and he rolls her. She was running straight away and we couldnt find a mark on her! We think he hit her in the back leg, because it was broke but there wasnt a mark in, or out of her! And he was using a .243!

Next few stands were dry.

On this stand, we again had the wind and the sun just right. We were set up on a brushy draw, him on one side, me on the other. ( I picked the wrong side). About 9 minutes in, Jake sees the cows acting weird. He sees the second dog sneaking in at about 50 yards. Dog puts his head down, and Jake smokes it! This dog was put on a silver platter! In the open, 50 yards, broadside not moving... Needless to say, I am jealous!

Their hides must be real stretchy and close up over the holes this year. I shot one a month ago with a .45 auto broadside and could not find a hole in either side. :huh:

Yeah on that first stand, Casey's whoops were right in pitch with the foxpro, sounded kind of like that little beep you get with walkie talkies, y'all know that electronic blip sound I'm talking about??? Anyway, at the six minute mark that's what I thought was happening, and was seriously thinking "oh I bet Casey's pissed that his caller is making that racket"...and a dog popped out between me and the caller, maybe 12 yards from me. She saw me get my rifle up so she turned and started leaving straight away. She couln't outrun a bullet though ;) It wasn't until she was all piled up that I realized what the sound really was.

Second stand was also perfect. At about 8 minutes I could see a cow looking hard into the draw, but I couldn't see in. Sure enough a minute later it was on my side of the hill, focused on the sound. Coming right to me. He even put his head down for a minute for me to get my rifle on him. I waited a small while hoping Casey would see him but he was a little behind the rise...so he died. Couldn't have been more perfect. Maybe 50 yards. Sure as shootin'.

It was a good time, next time I'll push the buttons and hide in a tent so you can be sure and get one hoss :P

OR...

You can just let me man the AR next time :lol: