Sign in to follow this  
alexjh1

Processor Questioin

I am headed up after Thanksgiving dinner, hopefully will have deer to go with my left over tukey. Does C.W. have a preferred list wild game processors?

That would be a good adition to this website, trusted processors by region of the state.

Any news out of unit 29 this year?

Thanks,

Alex

Southwest Meat processing in Queen Creek. Google them to find contact info. They usually have pickups for elk in many of the units. So call and ask them where their pick up points will be.

Mike Miller owns that and he donates meat to the youth camps throughout the state and to conservation group banquets. He is an avid hunter and a great guy. They make an excellent bunch of sausage too!

Amanda

I took my deer to Von Hanson's this year. A buddy of mine took his javelina there at the beginning of the year and the sausage they made was amazing! I would highly recommend them over southwest but that is just my opinion.

SW Meats has my top vote. I have taken several Javelina and deer there and always been happy with the meals. Family owned, hunters, give back to the community, and nice people.

I have used Von Hansons but have had issues there. This year I dropped off two mule deer and they were to use trim from both for the sausage I ordered. (They make great summer sausage). They screwed it up and used practically a whole deer for the sausage. I am disappointed at losing the sirloins and roasts. They realized their mistake after processing the 2nd deer and I got a great big bag of "trim" which included the sirloins and roasts from the 2nd deer. I didn't want more sausage so I took the bag home and salvaged some steaks from it. The meat they were ready to gring into sausage was poorly trimmed, dirty, and contained quite a bit of hair. Overall I was highly disappointed. Similar problems with an elk last year. I quartered it and took care of the neck meat, rib meat, tenderloins, and backstraps myself. Took everything else to Von Hansens and had quite a bit of burger made. I was shocked at how gamey the burger was. (The rest of the meat was gamey but not near as bad) Now I realize why - you can't just grind suspect meat, connective tissue, hair and dirt into the meat.

Tried Rhonda's Butcher Shop in Flagstaff with my Kaibab Buck. Excellent link sausage, delivery to the valley, and quality cut and wrapped meat. Also had my order done in less than a week. Her jalapeno and cheese sausage links are to die for.

I know that most of the responsibility for good meat is with the hunter. I dress and skin my game as soon as I can. Let it air cool or get it on ice ASAP depending on conditions. And keep it cold until I reach the processor. Sometimes it's and old tough critter - nothing you can do.

I hear good things about Casey's in Flagstaff and another place in Tucson (don't remember the name).

Good luck and hopeyou enjoy the meals after the hunt.

Thanks everyone, I have used the one in Williams, they have been great and delivered to the valley. Since I will be in 29 thought I would check around to see what was closer to the southeasst side of the state. This was not an easy search for me on-line to find wild game processors.

Thanks again,

Alex

I would recommend Willcox Packing House on Ft. Grant Road in Willcox. They are owned and operated by the Harris Family and they'll do a good job for ya. I believe they are the closest you'll find to 29.