Guest Mike

Hunting in Unit 32

Guest Mike

GreyGhost85, I have a hunt in December in Unit 32, do you have any tips on some good places? I will be scouting all this month. This is my first coues hunt and I have never been to this unit. Thanx.

im not gonna tell you exactly where i was, but i'll lead you to some deer. take the Long Hollow road out 4 or 5 miles, it turns off about a mile east of the Klondike store. take the road south for for 4 or 5 miles. there are a lot of hunters, but with the december hunt there will be little pressure, if any. hunt by hiking off the roads and glassing. the december hunt will TURN UP A HOG! if you hold out. you'll know your to the spot, because the road starts out in muley country, and ends up in the greatest looking country ever. if this does not work, try the Rattle Snake ridge road, youll see it as well on a map, there are numerous bucks in here. if you are a walker, go to the end of rattlesnake, or long hollow road, and hunt to China Peak. with this info, you can get a bruiser. reply to this with your email adress, and i can send you a little more info also.

Guest Guest

I have been hunting in 32 for the past 7 years only for whitetail. I would be glad to help you out or give you any information. :lol:

Gabriel, any help would be greatly appreciated. You can write back here or use my email address above. Thank you.

Hey Mike, I have hunted unit 32 several times in the last 15 years. This unit has some great coues country, I like to backpack into upper sycamore canyon and camp around the backside of China Peak. Try going up Deer Creek trail and get to" Mud Spring By Sun-up." Lower Oak Creek canyon also holds some big old Bucks.

The key is to be prepaired to hike in some very rough and steep country, and dont be afraid to spike-out overnight, this will put right where you want to be at first light. In 1997 the game and fish stated that this unit held the largest population of Mt Lion in the state, so keep your eye's peeled.

Thank you guys for the info. I'm going to buy a topo map this week and begin planning. Where is a good place to get topo maps?

The state building downtown. Only 7 dollars each! It is a good place to hang out and they are VERY helpful if you need them to be or they leave you alone once you get the hang of it!

:lol:

You can buy all the topos for the entire state of Arizona on CD-rom for about $90. The program I recommend is National Geographics TOPO! I think local stores like Popular Outdoor outfitters sell them or you can buy them from Amazon.com by clicking through this link: http://www.coueswhitetail.com/maps%20and%2...%20software.htm

For this program to be useful, you do of course have to be comfortable with using a computer program. But this allows you greater flexibility. You can print whatever size map you want. Don't have to print a whole topo if you are only gonna hunt 10 sq miles. You can also add waypoints to plot out water, deer, crossings, etc. and print that on your map along with the UTM's. The maps are seamless, so you don't have to worry about where the topo map corners are.

If you change your mind and decide to hunt the other side of a mountain range, you can just print out the maps for it, you don't have to go buy anything else.

You can even print the maps on tear resitant waterproof paper so you can keep them for years if you hunt the same spot a lot.

Amanda

Guest bacajwb

for the past 7 yrs i have been hunting unit 32, I took the big step from mulies to the elusive whitetail.

1 hr drive time from home address to prime country. I tend to favor the Copper Creek area. 7 tags , 5 successful hunts. One of those was it was just not possible for me to hunt. though i have hunted all the

the hunts, i favor the early 4-day. I do believe that a filled tag is better than no meat in the freezer, im still looking for the record book buck. Experience has aided in the last two deer to be respectable

3-pointers. this years hunt was one of my best deer hunts ever. Numerous deer,atleast 2 antlered

whitetail a day, able to pass on 2 small bucks ( less than 100yds). Sounds like you got the best tag for

your situation, my advice, get out and learn the area your going to hunt, roads, ridges, canyons. Be

patient, dont't be shy about the walk. The less traveled areas contain more deer.