Sign in to follow this  
tontotom

So how do they survive without water?

Most of Arizona is extremly dry right now. In early November I hiked into a spring that always holds water. Freaking dry, just a little wet spot where the water used to be bubbling out 20 gpm in the past. We did find some deer but the 100's we used to see were down to just a handful.

So how do the bucks stay high and survive? Is there surface water we don't know about or do they get enough water from the plants? How about the young deer and does? They seem to need more water.

I'm sure we have some thoughts out there-

they get a lot of water out of the browse they're eating, as well as through the breakdown of carbohydrates to a lesser degree, but I think they still know where to find water to actually drink, or they move to find water.

I have seen Mule Deer dig a hole to get to water. Then get on there front knees to drink it. If I did not come across it and then see them do it, I would never have known. It is dry on the surface but remember, animals can smell water and will find it anywhere. Even below the surface. If you have ever walked the very middle of a steep canyon through all of the very thick stuff. You will find water. Eventually. Might be real small but they can drink. Mnts do hold water deep inside then seep out somewhere? Find those honey holes and you might see the biggest buck in the neighborhood.

they get a lot of water out of the browse they're eating, as well as through the breakdown of carbohydrates to a lesser degree, but I think they still know where to find water to actually drink, or they move to find water.

+1 Based on my glassing down south over the past several weeks, they LOVE the cholla! I suspect they get some moisture from that. ;) Maybe not enough to sustain, but likely enough to help supplement....

S.

:)

Just like we know where the best places to eat or shop in town, the wildlife knows where to eat and drink.I agree with Stan, deer and pigs love cholla and they do get moisture from the cholla.

BB

I watched 11 of the sneaky devils creep into a guys backyard down South a few days ago and drink out of a bird bath/trough/drinker of some sort. These deer were not 30 yards from this dudes back door for over 30 minutes trying to decide if it was "safe" or not. Generally in this area the deer are higher up on the mountain but ALOT of them are extremely low in places they usually are not in all the time because water is around down there. All of them went to eating cholla after drinking....

Bret M.