thegunsmith2506

A good day of calling

Love the NOTCAL sticker! LOL I have the same one! Good work on the dogs! Amazing how so many guys are leaving the 22-250's, and .223's at home and dusting off the shottys.

I have thought alot about the shotgun vs. 22-250 scenario lately and have developed a theory. Maybe somebody here can give their expert opinion.

Growing up in southern New Mexico, we did alot of calling in open country, chapparal, mesquite pockets of vegetation with alot of hunting over harvested corn fields and milo maize.

We used to have some great coyote chases over open stubble, long shots and great chases.

As years have gone by two things have happened.

Vegetation growth and people growth. When I go back down to home the mesquite and chapparal have gotten so big and grown thick I can't imagine getting a shot off in some of the places I used to call.

Farmers and ranchers used to let us know when they were having coyote problems and liked it that we would come get rid of a couple of dogs now and then, but now due to public pressure I believe a good coyote chase in the open fields is frowned upon.

I always thought the best varmint gun was a shotgun 223 over under....what do you think

Over/under 12guage/223 is made and is an interesting concept. What happens when your double hangs up out there at 100 yards? Perfect range for the .223, but out of range for the shotgun. What happens if you miss? HUGE down fall is the fact that each fired arm only offers one shot.

Choose your weapon by the area your calling and you will be good!

Good advice, but I can honestly say that I have killed very few dogs after missing the first shot, close or long range I have a pretty crappy record after the missed first shot...........

What about a double, or a finishing shot?

I just like calling them in close. I have a hard time shooting running coyotes with a rifle, so I take a shotgun. Sometimes they hang up out of range, but not too often. Its a lot more fun shooting them at 20ft instead of 200yds.

I just like calling them in close. I have a hard time shooting running coyotes with a rifle, so I take a shotgun. Sometimes they hang up out of range, but not too often. Its a lot more fun shooting them at 20ft instead of 200yds.

Cant argue with you there! I have had some good luck shootin them on the run, but much prefer shooting them once with the shotgun and then calling in some more!

Kind of a double jeopardy the thrill of having them come in close or reaching out and smacking one at 200 yards.

Multiple dogs at once is just a cluster mess for me, I get too wrapped up in trying to kill them all instead of one at a time, not that I don't enjoy the thrill of it, but always seems to end up with no dogs down.

Now shooting one and continuing calling that is pretty sweet and I can handle that scenario.

IF I were to go back down home to call again, I would definitely take a shotgun along though.

Congrats on a great day of whacking those dogs..............