Sign in to follow this  
WOODSAZ

Rattling and decoys

Hey, Just wondering if any of you had had any luck rattling or using a decoy on a Coues? Watched a show the other day and they rattled a little coues buck in an it got me thinking.

Jay

I've rattled/called quite a bit over the years and had some giant Mule Deer come in . Had a fair amount of Coues also but nothing huge (hopefully on the 1st that will change) mostly low to mid 80's....

I've been rattling/calling for years now and have perfected it. I have called in many bucks over 100 inches. Last year i called in a 110 inch buck for SouthernCouesHunter and he nailed it. It was an awesome hunt.

I've been rattling/calling for years now and have perfected it. I have called in many bucks over 100 inches. Last year i called in a 110 inch buck for SouthernCouesHunter and he nailed it. It was an awesome hunt.

Do you have any pointers? Do's and dont's? Do you use a buck grunt or doe can? Do you usually glass them up and work in an call or do you set up blind?

Can't really give the specifics on the rattling, but we spotted the deer and Coues Archer began to rattle and grunt (Modern Call Products Hands Free Coues Deer Grunt). As soon as the deer heard the rattle, he came running across the field at us.

Great topic Jay. I haven't tried rattling for coues yet, but have called in a couple mulies like that in thick timber. I have also been dang near ran over by quite a few coues deer for blowing on a fawn bleater, including this doe that came in at a run from over 100 yards to less than 20. A couple years ago, when holed up in a ground blind w/ AZP&Y, we called in a doe and she came flying in snorting, jumping & bucking like a bronc in a rodeo. Ran up to w/in 15 yards of the blind before skidding to a stop & turning tail. Calling is a very exciting way to get close, when it works.

l_e37382014c7b49deb3cd42ea3bc3bb22.jpg

So during the rut you can call in mule deer bucks and/or rattle them in??? So if you wanted to call a big mule deer in during the rut would you use a buck grunt? or a doe bleat??? or either?

I've seen rattlers in the unit i hunt but I don't seem to remember the specific deer's names to call them in. I'll keep trying though.. :lol: :lol: :lol:

So during the rut you can call in mule deer bucks and/or rattle them in??? So if you wanted to call a big mule deer in during the rut would you use a buck grunt? or a doe bleat??? or either?

My first deer I killed w/ my bow was a muley that I got w/in range of through a combination of calling & stalking. I slipped to w/in about 150 yards of him & his ladies, was losing light fast & didn't think I had time to finish the stalk, so I began to grunt call & thrash brush w/ my hand, while staying out of sight. He came towards me, angling up a hill to my left, so I also moved up the hill to intercept him, while stopping to grunt & thrash some more brush along the way. I ended up putting an arrow in him at 50 yards.

Some of these other guys on here are certainly more experienced at it than I, so perhaps they've learned differently, but my experience has shown me that deer which are totally unaware of your presence are highly vulnerable to calling. However, a deer that has already been glancing in your direction & you think you're not quite busted yet, but they're suspicious... those deer usually just run away from me the minute I start calling.

I've called in several though in the 150-200 yard range & they often will come in like they're on a fishing line.

I've done it and it works. But is not fool proof.

Good point. Guess its like any other type of calling. Sometimes they come runnin or sometimes they GO runnnin.

One question I did have is the amount of calling to do. Particularly a grunt call. Elk is easier to judge because they are so vocal but I cant say Ive seen much vocal interaction with deer. It makes sense to adjust your calling by the reaction of the animal, but Im just looking for general info that you guys have seen work and not.

I have heard a coues' grunt twice...kinda cute! :rolleyes: All I have done is rattle, no grunting. Had a few come running, I mean, hauling booty to get where I was, BAM! There in a heart beat. And then I have watched some just half circle around just out of bow distance cautious about coming in. Hit and miss....just what hunting comes with. ;)

-Jeremy-

You can't make a statement like that and not offer up some tips man!!! Give us some pointers or mistakes you have made - something. I'm planning on trying some ratlling/grunting in Sonora in Jan and I'd appreciate a head start ;)

p.s. PM's are fine :ph34r: ;)

You can't make a statement like that and not offer up some tips man!!! Give us some pointers or mistakes you have made - something. I'm planning on trying some ratlling/grunting in Sonora in Jan and I'd appreciate a head start ;)

p.s. PM's are fine :ph34r: ;)

No they're not. We're not asking for his spot, just for a tip or too to benefit other aspiring coues-callers. Come on Coues Archer, throw us a bone or two.... ;)