Sign in to follow this  
justin_birch

moon phases

i would think a full moon would allow them to be more active at night, so...imo i think no moon would be best. but what do i know, im sure someone will correct me

do a search for "moon" in this biology section and get plenty of past threads.

just go hunting and give what the moon gives ya. certainly wouldn't hunt because the moon phase aint right that day.

Not a bad brew either

+1

I use a full moon as an excuse when im havin a tough time on a hunt. I think it effects early elk hunts more than any others. I dont let it change the way I hunt either. Anybody change stuff up for a full moon?

Blue Moon- good song done by Rosanne Cash

+1

I know growing up on a ranch and such, my dad and all of the "old timers" go by the moon phase when castrating, butchering, etc. due to bleeding less during that phase.....However... I don't remember which phase that was :huh: , I'll have to ask... Not that it necessarily pertains to hunting, but might help with trailing blood.... There's my 2 cents :blink:

The one you kill in ;) Just kidding. I don't think it matters. Deer are active throught each phase just at different times.

Boomhower says---

"Dang Ol'-NEWWW moon on the FID TEEN'th mannn,Talkin' bout dang Ol' Da-Rut man, no wad im sayin, dang ol' Bow-Chika Bow wowww! Danged ol' Good hUntinnn Man".

Wishing those the best who are still going out trying to down a buck soon. Hopeing to get out and at least watch some activity.

I'd agree with Boomhower that the days closest to a new moon are the best for high deer activity, especially in ruttin months.

All of my experience hunting is in S. Texas. Full moon there means really early morning hunting...everything seems to be bed down by first light. I've seen maybe a half dozen deer in the mornings then. Rarely see dear before dark. On no moon or very small sliver moon nights there seems to be more activity during the day.

Since the seasons here are so limited, I imagine it won't mean much here. I haven't even bothered to find out what the moon cycle will be in late November. I still miss those 2-4 month seasons in Texas... :(

Last year I paid real close attention to my moon table that is programed into my Garmin GPS. Over 20 days of hunting in December and January and for the most part it was pretty accurate. There were a few times where the weather disrupted the pattern, but I was very impressed. I came home and did a little research on the different moon phases and basicly any time the moon is directly over head or under feet are the best times to hunt with the full moon and new moon being the best of the best. I guess it's a lot like the tide and the moon plays a huge role in that. I think a lot of folks don't realize that about 12 hours after the full moon is directly over your head it's now directly under your feet and that can be a very effective time to hunt. Pay attention next time your out and you never know what you might find!

I'm not saying I live and die by it, but I usually plan my afternoon nap around it :)