Pigman

Can somebody explain to me .......

I know this has probably been beat to death, but since I drew squat I have nothing better to do this fall. So ...... one more time - please use little words and short sentences:

Without naming names or units :rolleyes: (no fistfights please) :D is it possible that someone could draw a tag with their 3rd choice, when I had it as my 2nd choice and as, mentioned above didn't draw squat? Good luck to them and no hard feelings, but I didn't think that was possible - first draw 1st and 2nd choice considered, then all apps go back in the hopper for the second draw 3rd - 5th choices.

Am I wrong? Please be gentle.

Thanks

John

Yes it can happen. First I must ask. Did you put in with any one on your app.

Technicaly the first draw is for 20% of all tags for those people with the most bonus points. After those 20% tags are gone then the draw takes place for everyone else, choices 1&2. Then if anything is left they do another draw. Got this info from my wife who works at the front counter at the greenway office.She is not sure if they go back into the system for new numbers for the 3-5 choices. It is possible to get the 3rd choice for deer but elk is a real long shot unless it is a less desireable unit.

AZ300wsm

Is that you Joe?

Technicaly the first draw is for 20% of all tags for those people with the most bonus points. After those 20% tags are gone then the draw takes place for everyone else, choices 1&2. Then if anything is left they do another draw. Got this info from my wife who works at the front counter at the greenway office.She is not sure if they go back into the system for new numbers for the 3-5 choices.  It is possible to get the 3rd choice for deer but elk is a real long shot unless it is a less desireable unit.

Didn't know the bonus point pass percentage business - the 20% with the most bonus points - would get all 5 choices considered before everyone else's 1st and 2nd. It doesn't fully explain it on the G&F web page, but if that's the case, then I guess it could cause the above scenario.

John

When a hunt gets down to the last 3 tags then anyone with 4 people on an app cannot be drawn. It is possible that there was one tag left when your number came through and the other guy had applied by himself and was recycled for the second draw. This is one possibility. The other possibilities require too many large words and long sentences!

20% of tags go to people with the most bonus points, then I believe the computer issues random numbers for bonus points. If you have 5 bonus points you get five numbers and you take the lowest number for the draw. One bonus point you get one number and that's it for the draw. I don't believe they do another draw for the 3rd-5th choices, they just go until all the numbers and units have filled up. If you want a 5th choice put 30B whitetail next year and you'll probably get it.

Lance,

Good point! This is the first year my son was able to apply, and until you asked I had forgot that I had him put in with me. In fact, deer was the only tag that we put in together for, all the rest we applied separately. Guess maybe I'll be kicking myself for that :rolleyes: !

John

I believe in putting wives and kids in separate because if I am hunting at the same time and they miss or just can't see it or do it I will be filling my tag with their opportunity. If it is just them with the tag then I have to be patient and wait for their opportunity to finally come around. It increases their chance of success that much more if that buck is still running around somewhere. Unfortunately (not really) my wife and I both drew 36A November tags. We drew them separately, so you can't say that I didn't try. I wish her luck.

Lance,

Sounds like a good philosophy. The only reason I put us both on the same application for deer was that I didn't want to risk getting drawn for two different units. May have to re-think that strategy next year!

I had to dig out the March-April Az Wildlife Views magazine, but it contains a pretty good article on the draw by Bob Hirsch. I'm still not 100% clear on how the draw for the people with the most bonus point works (I assume that all 5 choices are considered, but it isn't spelled out), but it states that there are actually three draws - bonus point, 1st and 2nd choice, and 3rd - 5th choice. According to the article unsuccessful bonus draw applicants are assigned new random numbers for the 1st and 2nd choice draw, and new numbers are also assigned for the last draw.

John

I have all the same questions. This is the second year in a row I havent drawn squat. I put my sons in seperate with seperate hunts so I dont compete with them and if they draw, I will just be their guide and not have a tag for the same unit. I put down early coues hunts for me and the boys as 2nd, 3rd, 4th choices and assumed with 4 bonus points I should draw and my sons had 3 bonus points yet zero tags............may need an ACTUARIAL to run the numbers but sure seems like you would draw an oct or nov tag................Allen.......

Allen it sounds like somebody just doesn't like you down there, I feel the same way about elk, I think I have been putting in for eight years and have never been drawn, and up until two years ago I put in for cow hunts as my second choice, I put in for archery hunts or muzzleloader, maybe our luck just sucks, but for you it almost sounds personal, I hope you archery hunt.

i drew my 3rd choice this year for antelope. a 10/18 archery hunt. i was wondering how that was possible, and that explains it. must be the bonus points.