Sign in to follow this  
elkhunter

2010 arch pig

2010 is underway, I just wanted to say real quick that I got this pig today 1/2/10 and my sister (Stacy/AZarchery) got hers on opening day, we've been having good success in the last two days.

This morning we went after a herd we've known for quite some time, about 8 years but we were not able to harvest a pig from this group in 4 years, the terrain is pronghorn country with small gullies that holds some food for pigs. The herd has grown outrageously in the past 4 years at a whoppin 11 pigs now (well 10 NOW), it all started when pops located the herd walking from a distant canyon into the canyon we were glassing and our stalk was on, the wind was right and the pigs were feeding downward into the gully.

We ran out of cover at 50 yards so I decided to advance in the open terrain getting to 27 yards of a single pig, the pig was facing away giving me an opportunity for a texas heart shot but I held off, a pig above me to my left started to get spooky and trotted towards the herd so I thought "Oh heck here I go" I pulled the 25 yard pin right on the pig's hole pooper and right at that insant he looked to the right and my arrow was flying, the arrow grazed his neck and lodged into his brain, not quite a texas heart shot but the closest I've gotten to it in a few years. Dad will be trying for his pig next, we are heading out again and will keep you all updated, cheers.

DSCN0516.jpg

DSCN0517.jpg

DSCN0522.jpg

Congratulations on making a quick kill.

Just an fyi - I wouldn't call a herd of a 11 to be a large herd. I think 8-10 is avg in AZ. I think when you get into herds of 20-25, that's a good sized herd!! Hopefully your herd will continue to grow!

Amanda

Amanda- you're right it's an average size herd but back in 2004 it was only 4 pigs large and now gotten up to 11, hence the reason why I mention it has grown into a nice size group

Man Weiss!!! You Love You A PIGGY!!! ha ha ha

Good for you man, Congrats!!

AK