Sign in to follow this  
coyotekid

Its vintage to me

good evening all,

Well I saw this in my moms collection a while back and I guess it is almost vintage. This was my second coues buck and I think this is pretty much what lit the fire for me to spend the last 12 years burning countless tanks of petro and a good bit of Vibram looking for them. I will never for get this hunt. I had the tag along with my dad, and it was supposed to be the type of deal where I shot the first buck with some sort of antler sticking out of its head and my dad was going to be looking for a respectable mature deer. well about three hours after first light on opening morning my turned around 50yds from me and asked what I was shooting at in the really thick trees.

I said plainly, "a deer, i just saw horns and shot" after some sort of "what the heck are you thinking" look, he walked over and said where?

"over there", I was told to say put and he would go over and look for blood. Im pretty sure he thought I was shooting at ghosts! well when he got over there and in fact found this gray ghost dead in its tracks the just looked at me and laughed and said go figure.

Dad and I spend the whole rest of the hunt looking for a nice buck and on the very last day he ended up shooting a nice 3x4.

first and last day bucks that scored with in a 1/4 inch each other right about 87 inches, (mine was the 1/4 inch biger ;) ). We have had lots of great hunts since then and maybe some day I will give those carp deer another shot but i'll probably just keep getting drawn for dec coues hunts on my second choice like always.

by the way, I shot this buck and several others using one of two guns, this one is a 600 rem in 6mm rem, and my other favorite is my 22-250 with the federal permium 55gr.

-sam

post-2382-1263364063_thumb.jpg

That's one heck of a nice buck to start out on. I'll take that any day. Thanks for sharing the vinage picture there old man. :)

TJ

Great story.

I was going to sell my Rem 600 6mm, but my son will use it.

What year was that?

I love my 600's in a couple calibers, that 6mm is a shooter for sure, its been rode hard but never lets me down. I shot that buck in 97 I think, I was twelve. I got my first coues buck two years earlier that was a 2 by. and truth be told that hunt made me so mad after chasing the things through brush taller than I was for 15 days, I wasnt going to let them get the best of me.