Sign in to follow this  
Coach

6A Youth Piggies

Hey guys,

My boys have the 6A youth javi hunt starting next weekend. My oldest son (12) had this hunt last year. We had some pretty cold, wet windy conditions and didn't end up seeing any piggies. We were camped near Cornville hunting the Southern portion of House Mtn, and saw some pretty good sign - just couldn't locate the little buggers.

Next weekend, or whenever this big storm system moves out, we'll be heading back for round two - only with two hunters this time. I'm not very familiar with 6A, so I'm kinda planning on heading to the same general area. Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated. I'd like to see them get into the pigs this time.

Jason

East of Camp Verde just east of Fossill Creek Rd north side of 260 alond West Clear Creek, we got into 12 in there last year, one day hunt on second weekend, just keep on the glass, you will find them Good luck Andy

A huge thanks to azelkhunter2 (DAVE), elkhtnaz, coyotekid(Sam) and Gino. We had a great time, no dead piggies this time but given the bad weather and short time to hunt, I just want to thank each and every one of you STAND-UP guys for sharing information and helping out.

Turns out the country North of 260 was pretty much snowed in - did some hard glassing and hiking, found a killer bear or lion kill (cow elk) with both Bald and Golden eagles (my yougest son had a checklist of critters and this one kill checked off lots of them). Got a nasty flat tire in the mud, all that "hotel hunting" experience has to offer.

A big THANK YOU to the good guys of Tire Pro Automotive in Camp Verde - Some great guys who got us back on the road and would not accept payment. You hunters in Camp Verde or Cottonwood, please buy these guys lunch, or at least, next time you need tires, give them a ring - solid guys all the way around. They really took care of us.

Finally on Day 2 of a very limited two-day hunt we were in the right place (thanks to Gino) but a little late to the party. Late in the day, the boys finally got to chase some pigs, but they somehow they knew where unit 6A ended and 22 began, so we had to eat some tag soup and make our way back up the fossil creek road. Let's just say the road toward Strawberry from Fossil creek is a muck bog with a thousand foot drop-off that had all 5 of us puckering our sphincters like water-tight widgeons until we finally broke the rim.

Just wanted to say THANK YOU again to all of you awesome CWT members who were willing to offer a helping hand on our youth Javi hunt. You guys rock.