firstcoueswas80

october vs. november

i have always hunted 36b in november. but this year, for some reason dad wanted to put us in for the october hunt. i am wondering what the differences i am going to see are deer activity, how early they bed. i know its going to be hot as heck! and besides that i am not looking forward to only 4 days of hunting. i like to be out there for atleast a week. i know where we are going to hunt but what can we expect in october as compared to november.

thanks.

Guest Ernesto C

That's is correct but look at it this way: you'll be there before any body else so make it work to your advantage and dont forget to glass the shady(spelling?) areas of the trees and the north side of the hills. Good luck.

Ernesto C

You say you like to be out there for atleast a week, plan on it. Get there early scout hard and you should be able to pattern the deer on this early hunt. Good luck.

Mike

I've noticed that they still feed until nine or so but they don't move to much they like areas with dense browes like cat claw and ocotillo thickets. and it seems to me that their bedding and feeding areas are the same. Use water to advantage they, will usually be close, with in 1000 yards or so. don't forget that most of the time they will get up and move as the sun moves so stay out there!! Alot of people cuss the oct. hunts but just remember, you will have the first crack at all those big bucks! good luck

Just like deerslam said, use your normal (at least a week) hunt by getting out early to spot your deer. Spending a few days immediatley before a hunt is ideal to pattern the current conditions.

Good Luck!

I have come to prefer the oct. hunt. First crack at the bucks. The only thing is you take a chance of a storm ruining the hunt.I have found that there are a lot more people hiking or backpacking in a long ways.So the first crack thing can work to your advantage.

Noel

Casey

I actually really like the October hunts. like Noel said you get first crack at em. The October hunts I have been on are usually dictated by the weather. It seems it is always kinda wierd around that time of year. Had it snow on me a couple of times in unit 32 in Oct. Last year it rained cats and dogs and the wind blew like heck but still managed to kill on the fourth day. The big difference to me is that you just don`t have a lot of time to really trophy hunt. You have to make up your mind before you go if it will be a trophy hunt, a meat hunt , or a hunt of opportunity. I have gone home several early hunts without tagging because I passed small to medium bucks. I think the key to a really good hunt is to scout, scout, and scout well in advance in order to maximize your actual hunting time. Last year me and my buddy actually arrived in camp on Wed. and packed into the hunting area on thursday and that was really neat to me to be ready to rock and roll on the opener friday morning! Remember to pack raingear! Good luck Coues Addict

I allways get the Oct. hunt and most of the time get great weather that time of year...except the year before last it was 100 degrees for the first 2 days and then windy as heck for the last 2 :)