Sign in to follow this  
hunterboy

shotguns

I am in the market for a new 12 ga shot gun. but i am havin a hard time picking bewteen the bennelli and the browning gold i want a semi auto anyone have any opinions

I purchased a Remington 1100 in 1980 and have not had one problem through all the dove, quail, and clay pigeons it has fired toward. It has been very dependable. I think it was the guy doing all the shooting that had the problems.

Doug~RR

I have a Remington 11-87 SPS that I bought in 1997. It is somewhat ugly with the rough, black matte finish on the metal. Comes with choke tubes, and has never malfunctioned. I replaced the factory black synthetic stocks with factory camo ones, and it looks better. But, since I'm rough on guns in the field, the ugly metal finish works out fine for me since it is VERY durable. I am completely happy with this shotgun and have no desire to change.

I've had 2 1187's and an 1100, and I wouldn't consider changing to anything else. Just got my daughter a 20 ga. 1187 last week. Just don't get the 1187 magnum, the 3 1/2" mag. The guys on the duck forums have not given good reviews on that one.

I have a Benelli M2 Field and love it. Unfortunately, everyone else loves it too so when we go out to shoot clays it gets borrowed a lot. I've got maybe 1500 rounds through it (mostly the el cheapo Estate target loads) and have had no problems at all. It's lighter and handier than my 40 year old 1100 but doesn't seem to kick any harder. When I first got it I couldn't hit a thing but after figuring out that it shot higher than the Rem all is well. Not cheap but I think it's worth it.

i have a remington 870 3 1/2 and love it but i shoot compoticion every sunday and i need a new semi for clays but i would alost liek a gun i cna get used to and take dove phesent and goose int he winter.

The 1187 can take light 2 3/4 target loads to 3" magnum loads and will take pheasant easily. Thats what separates this gun from the 1100 becuse it has a gas compenstation to allow different types of loads. If I was a goose hunter I would blast them with an SP 10. Heres another reason to stay with the Remington, they will continue to make this gun for years to come. Parts will always be available. The Benelli, who knows.

SP 10 is the Remingtons 10 gauge auto, strickly a waterfowler or turkey. Here is a link to Benelli prices for an example. That super black eagle looks like a nice gun. http://www.ableammo.com/mall/guns_shotgun_...ck_eagle_ii.asp

The 1187' are about $700 to $800. Link http://www.davidsonsinc.com/consumers/subs...b1.x=42&b1.y=11

The 1187 can take light 2 3/4 target loads to 3" magnum loads and will take pheasant easily. Thats what separates this gun from the 1100 becuse it has a gas compenstation to allow different types of loads. If I was a goose hunter I would blast them with an SP 10. Heres another reason to stay with the Remington, they will continue to make this gun for years to come. Parts will always be available. The Benelli, who knows.

Since I had a forty-year old 1100, I first looked at Remington, buy American and all that, but I couldn't get past what seemed to me to be the less than attractive finishing of the several examples I looked at, so I bought the Benelli. From what I have read and heard from others, I don't expect to need any parts for it. Then again, I didn't need any parts for the 1100 either. If I was determined to buy another Rem, I would keep my eyes open at Gun Shows for a used Skeet or Clays version. I have seen a few of those with spectacular wood on them. Several people I know who know a lot more than me about shotguns say they wouldn't touch any new Rems because of quality concerns and these are all guys that own several.

i have a remington 870 express i liek it for a "work horse gun" but i want something new and more classie for my shoots. i have a browning A 5 made in beligim but i want something new that gun shoots great i am considering the browning gold any info?