Sign in to follow this  
Santana Outdoors

Game Camera Batteries

Hi Everyone,

Game cameras are growing faster then ever for scouting. But Its a bummer when you go out there and your camera batteries are dead. So here is a little game camera battery info for you to chew on.

Alkaline batteries are the least expensive but they discharge even when the camera is in sleep mode. The discharge rate normally depends upon how cold or hot it is out side. They also do not have the power to throw the flash or infrared as far as the manufacturer says. In Az where my camera has recorded over 120 degrees, they are no good.

Lithium batteries are great, they do not discharge and last well. But are more expensive.

Rechargeable Ni-MH batteries are the best. They do not discharge and good ones will last most of us a life time. They do not hold a memory, no need to discharge and can be charged anytime. Good ones can recharge up to 1000 times. Again, that is more than my in life time.

But don't be fooled by any rechargeable batteries, look at the mAh (milliampere-hour) . In a nut shell mAh is basically how long the battery will last.

Lets look at some differences of mAh and some costs. I tried to average, I know you can find them cheaper but this is what I have found on an average.

C-cell

Regular alkaline battery 1500mAh to 3000mAh $1.00 to $3.50 each

Std Rechargeable batteries 2800mAh $4.00

High Grade Rechargeable 5000mAh $5.00

As you can see there is a big difference between the alkaline and good rechargeable batteries. Again, the other big difference is the power in a rechargeable battery compared to an alkaline is it can throw your infrared or flash further.

Get two sets of rechargeable batteries, that way every time you go to your game camera you can change out the old ones and put in the new. Tenergy Rechargeable batteries are the ones I use.

Moultrie also makes a "Solar Power Panel" that hooks up to any camera that accepts a 12V barrel connector. I currently use these on some my Stealth cameras. You still need to have batteries in the camera. I currently have one running in the wilderness and it has been going for a year.

I have checked this panel on Moultrie, stealth and Wildview cameras and it works. But be careful to make sure the polarity is correct for your camera before hooking it up.

Good luck and hope this helps.

Eric

Way to do the research! That is some valuable info Thanks.

I have been spending a small fortune on batteries for two years now. I actually thought about buying stock in energizer.

Welcome aboard.

For those who use the Moultrie Cameras, their is an even better option for you! Get the Moultrie Solar Panel. I havn't changed batteries in 9 months now. It has a built in rechargeable battery. Living where we almost always have sun, its a great deal. You can make a longer power cable to plug into your camera if you need to get it up high to gather sun. They run from $50 to $75 depending on where you buy it. Ben

For those who use the Moultrie Cameras, their is an even better option for you! Get the Moultrie Solar Panel. I havn't changed batteries in 9 months now. It has a built in rechargeable battery. Living where we almost always have sun, its a great deal. You can make a longer power cable to plug into your camera if you need to get it up high to gather sun. They run from $50 to $75 depending on where you buy it. Ben

Thats what I do also.

Thanks. I knew I forgot something. I have added this to my post and a little more info. Thanks.

Hi Everyone,

Rechargeable Ni-MH batteries are the best. They do not discharge and good ones will last most of us a life time. They do not hold a memory, no need to discharge and can be charged anytime. Good ones can recharge up to 1000 times. Again, that is more than my in life time.

Eric

Eric,

No disrespect intended, but I have never found a rechargeable battery, even the Ni-MH, that performs as advertised. Your numbers seem to be very wishful. Being an electrical engineer with a whole bunch of trail cams, I have done many experiments, and I keep coming back to lithium batteries. You can always get a great deal on Lithium batteries at costco or Sams club. When the technology improves and a reliable rechargeable is finally developed, I will be the first to convert.

Mark

Hi Everyone,

Eric

Eric,

No disrespect intended, but I have never found a rechargeable battery, even the Ni-MH, that performs as advertised. Your numbers seem to be very wishful. Being an electrical engineer with a whole bunch of trail cams, I have done many experiments, and I keep coming back to lithium batteries. You can always get a great deal on Lithium batteries at costco or Sams club. When the technology improves and a reliable rechargeable is finally developed, I will be the first to convert.

Mark

Mark,

Lithium batteries are great, thanks and I highly recommend them. What name brand of rechargeable batteries were you using? Again, I have found a big difference in the quality between different manufacturers. I have been using the Tenergy batteries and for the last year have found them to perform better than any others in the field.

Thanks and appreciate the input.

Eric

I bought two SLA recharchables off ebay for $15. The battery will take over 4,000 pics between charges. Had it on a water hole all summer and it never went dead. You charge it with regular car battery charger. Wire it up with a fuse and plug into where the solar panel connects.

I bought two SLA recharchables off ebay for $15. The battery will take over 4,000 pics between charges. Had it on a water hole all summer and it never went dead. You charge it with regular car battery charger. Wire it up with a fuse and plug into where the solar panel connects.

Good idea Desertbull, I took that one step further and added a little 12V Moultrie Solar Panel to one I am testing in the field, it is only on one SLA battery and has worked for 1 over a year now. I am going to do a post on solar power later but great idea and economical.