Sign in to follow this  
otdrsman

Remington R-15 Scope rings help

Recently purchased a Remington R-15 and matching Nikon 4.5-14x40 Coyote Special scope along with Nikon high scope rings. Great set up but unfortuantely the rings are too low for me! Would really appreciate any help in finding some rings in the super high or ultra high that I could use. I've looked at the Warnes and thats probably the route I'm going with but would like to get something in the matching Max1 camo. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. Oh yea....if possible I'd like to keep the $$ to a minimum cause my bank is broke and I still need to buy bullets! Thanks for any help!

You'll probably need to buy a one piece mount that will mount the scope far enough forward for proper eye relief. The cheapest ones out there are the Burris PEPR or the Rock River mount.

I've got the Burris mount and it works quite well, I think it ran $65 or so.

good luck!

schmitty

I've had a lot of ring combos for my AR but the best and lightest one I've found for calling is Leupold shoot through 2 pc. I picked them up at walmart for less than $20. They are just the right height and give good head position.

How do you like your r-15 overall? I have never owned an AR, but I am really close to buying the r-15. Just not sure if I wanna spend that much money on a coyote rifle yet. Good luck with your scope mounts. Let us know how they turn out.

Gunsmith, overall I'm very impressed with the R-15 even though I haven't shot it yet. It's deffinately going to take some getting used to considering I've never shot an AR style gun before. Two big sellers I liked was that it shouldered quick and felt comfortable considering how short it is. That aside, this project has cost way too much money trying to get everything to match in color that I don't think I'll have money to buy bullets! A big thanks to everyone for their info and help. Really appreciated! I'll post pics once I get everything put together and put a few rounds through it!

Tontotom, Thanks for the info on the rings, I'll have to take a look at them if my set up doesn't pan out.

otdrs....read your earlier post. I have the same Remington R-15 in .233 in Realtree that I purchased from Bass Pro last July. I bought the Nikon Coyote in the matching camo pattern. After I ordered my gun I bought the Nikon mounts and Reminton mini-risers, which gave me the height that I needed. However, due to the length of the scope and the space needed for the mounts on the Picatinny rail I couldn't get the proper scope relief; I had to creep up on the stock to see properly even with the scope as far back on the rail as possible. I took the mounts off after shooting it a few times and bought a JP Industries one-piece. Doesn't have the matcing camo pattern, but it works great. If you want, you can either purchase my Nikon mounts and Remington mini-risers (at less than new of course), or at least look at them. One other thing, the Nikon mounts are solid, but I was really disppointed in the Remington mini-risers, they seemed like they were made out of cheap aluminum. Just IM me if interested.

For whatever reason, I've shot various brands and grain of ammo out of my rifle since purchasing it. You'll be happy to hear that I've never once had a malfunction or had the gun refuse to cycle. However, I've by far had the best accuracy out of the Hornady 55 grn V-max.

Reaper, Great info and definately appreciated! According to shipping, I should be getting my mini risers in the mail on the 9th. I'll have to see how it all goes together and if I'm able to get a clear picture.... I already know it's going to be close cause with the original setup I was already pushing the scope to the back to get a clear picture so I may be in your same boat. I'm going to look up that one piece you mentioned just in case so thanks very much for the heads up. As for the bullets, I'm with ya on the v-max. I'll be in touch and thanks again for all the info!