Sign in to follow this  
matthewp45

Opening Morning Double

Well we made it back from another family javelina hunt and filled 2 out of 3 tags in camp. I arrived Thursday about 1pm and went out looking around and found a lot of fresh sign in an area we had seen pigs in the past. So my brother in law and I headed to the area opening morning. I set up the ole 15's and about 10 minutes later I glassed a big herd of about 20 javelina only 300 yards away. My brother in law Ben has never killed a big game animal, so we grabbed the gear and headed out. We got to about 140 yards and I decided it was close enough for the smoke pole. I tried to get Ben to shoot first but he wouldn't so I told him to be ready because if I killed mine I would reload and get the gun to him. I set up and touch off on the trigger and hammered the pig but it was a little low so I reloaded and he had come down a little closer to 100 yards and I put one right in his shoulder and he went down right where he stood. There were still 3 pigs left on the hill side so I reloaded one more time and handed Ben the gun. He was in an akward position but he took the shot. The pigs just stood there for a second and I had know idea where he hit. Then all the sudden the biggest one just fell over dead. So we had both of our pigs with in the first hour of opening morning. My dad was the other tag holder and didn't arrive until that afternoon or we would have probably filled all three right there. Hope you enjoy the pics. I really like my brother in laws camo I am thinking of getting some just like it (and the sun glasses too ) :lol: .

2-7-09Javelina034.jpg

2-7-09Javelina041.jpg

Congratulations on your pigs and thanks for sharing the story and pictures. :)

TJ